Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
D0nQu1x0te
D0nQu1x0te began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to stop Calibre changing location numbers

I am using a Kindle Touch to read and note texts books purchased from Amazon.

The noting is part of the research I am doing for a PhD. I use Calibre to convert the books to help overcome the hideous problem of limitations on the My Clippings file.

I use Klippings Kollector to review, edit and comment on the notes extracted from the EBook.

As the noting is part of my PhD accurate citations are important and this is where I have found a problem.

In the Kindle version of a book teh following quote appears at location 866.

"Thus the emergence of the concept of taste in the seventeenth century, the social and socially cohesive function of which we have indicated above, has connections with moral philosophy that go back to antiquity."

When I went to the location in the Calibre converted version teh quote was not at that location. I found it at location number 1200.

This is a serious problem from an academic research persepctive. Citations must be accurately given for a particular edition of a book. If the Calibre version does not refelct the Kindle locations then it is useless for my research.

Is there a way of maintaining the same location points when a book is converted?

Thank You

D0nQ
D0nQu1x0te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0nQu1x0te View Post
Is there a way of maintaining the same location points when a book is converted?
I'm going out on a limb here and say no. What did you convert the book from/to?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-22-2013 at 12:16 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
A "location" is just a certain-sized chunk of uncompressed markup (source). Converting changes the underlying markup... plain and simple. There is no way (official or otherwise) to "map" location numbers to the actual text rendered by the internal markup. If the reference numbers for the Kindle version are important... then you'll need to use the official Kindle version. They simply can't survive a conversion intact.

(or find a way to overcome the clipping limit without a full conversion)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-22-2013 at 03:43 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
D0nQu1x0te
D0nQu1x0te began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the replies. I was afriad that that would be the answer. Will have to put up with Kindle's restrictions on clipping. I have a work around so it justs means changing my work flow and a little extra time ..

Regards
D0nQu1x0te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0nQu1x0te View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was afriad that that would be the answer. Will have to put up with Kindle's restrictions on clipping. I have a work around so it justs means changing my work flow and a little extra time ..

Regards
One used to be able to use the Mobiperl/Mobi2Mobi-Gui tools to eliminate the clipping restriction without converting. But anymore, the clipping limit (and/or TTS flag, I forget) is tied in with Amazon's DRM. Meaning messing with it on DRM-ed books could render the book unusable, so that method would only work on DRM-free books (if it still works at all with the advent of KF8/azw3). You might give it a shot, though. If you're on Windows, there's no need to install Perl... there's a link in one of those threads to pre-compiled Windows binaries.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, calibre, conversion, kindle, locations