Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
tlangner
tlangner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch's page turns with ePub much slower than with Mobi

Hey guys,

I've recently got myself a Kobo Touch and generally I'm quite happy with the device. And issue that has been bothering me, though, is the slow page turn when reading ePub books (slow at least compared to my old Kindle). It takes about one second for the device to recognize the touch event and then another around 0.7 seconds to turn the page. This alone wouldn't be too bad, but what got me thinking is that page turns on MOBI books are way faster. To this end, I converted the same book to MOBI with Calibre and loaded it onto my Kobo Touch. Loading the MOBI takes about 20 seconds (as does changing a formatting parameter) as compared to about 2 seconds for the ePub. But a page turn take less than one second which makes reading way more smooth. Does anybody know what this behaviour is due to? Does KT use some fancy caching for MOBIs, which would explain the slow loading, and not for ePubs?

I don't really like the proprietary MOBI format and would prefer to use ePub, but the faster page turn makes it really tempting to use MOBI.

Cheers, Tobias
tlangner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Page turn speed has varied with different updates to the firmware. The latest unofficial (not yet released to most) 2.1.1 has improved/fixed slow page turns. You can download it and manually install it. See the thread about the 2.0 release (near the end) for more info)
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
tlangner
tlangner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hey! Thanks for the information. I just installed the new version and the speed-up is dramatically. Thank you very much for the hint!
tlangner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kobo tuch, mobi, slow