Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
How much did you mark it down?
I made 4 of my books free, including book 1 of my sci-fi series, and then marked the others down 25%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAdam View Post
Did you promote the fact your book was on sale or did people just find your book on their own?
A little bit of both. Actually, it was more like 5% sales from my personal marketing, and 95% from people just browsing the catalogue of participating books that Smashwords has. I say that because as soon as the catalogue went live, sales started flying in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I noticed you have a good bundle deal on your website. I am going to try and read the freebie book 1 this week so I can see if I'll enjoy it.
I hope you enjoy it. If you do, please recommend it to others.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I made 4 of my books free, including book 1 of my sci-fi series, and then marked the others down 25%.

Since the first book in my series is already free I did not jump on this, but might toss the rest in 25% off just as an experiment.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'd do it. The sale goes off automatically at the end of July and the discount only works if they enter the coupon code. So if they forget to like a few of my buyers did, you'll still get it at full price.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #19
SerenaFairfax
Book Author
SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Ipad
Smile Smashwords sale

I've reduced the price of my ebooks to nil for the duration on the sale and no, I don't think they're worthless!
SerenaFairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #20
tonymcfadden
Writer guy
tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tonymcfadden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't call the Smashword promo's "sales", since they don't generate and coin in my bank. But that doesn't make them worthless.

Smashwords is one of the lowest contributors to my bottom line. I get very few real sales from Smashwords. Their distribution to Sony Apple, B&N, etc is where the value is. I did put a couple of mine at $0 for the promo and see it for what it is - a way to get eyes on my books. Amazon's kdp Select does much the same thing...
tonymcfadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
Christinaggaudet
Christinaggaudet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I decided to join this sale today. Obviously it's too soon to tell if it will work for me, however I was curious about something. Will my book get added to the catalog even though I added my book well after the start date? Good luck to other authors and I'm glad to hear about some success already.
Christinaggaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I decided to get in on it, using the 25% option. I'm curious to see how being involved in the promotion will effect sales. I'm pretty new to Smashwords, so I figured what the hey. I'm glad there was a post about this as well, I was wondering if it had been a good idea or not. It's nice to see some other indie-author's views.
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #23
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added my at the 50% level and got a small uptick in sales... not much though.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Christinaggaudet: You should get added. If your book is already approved for premium catalogue status, as soon as you enroll it the book should show up in the list automatically.

Echase: I picked up more sales in one day than I'd had the entire previous month, so yeah, it's been a great promotional tool for me. I also combined it with some personal PR on Facebook and Twitter, so that helped too, but it's definitely been a boon for me.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #25
Samantha Cain
Reader, Writer, Aquarius
Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Samantha Cain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I added my book to the list in hopes that it'll get into the hands of readers, which it did. Since the first of July, my downloads have nearly tripled so I'm hoping that by the power of the spoken word, people will come back to download and hopefully purchase after the sale is over
Samantha Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #26
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Cain View Post
I added my book to the list in hopes that it'll get into the hands of readers, which it did. Since the first of July, my downloads have nearly tripled so I'm hoping that by the power of the spoken word, people will come back to download and hopefully purchase after the sale is over
I've had a few more people downloading the excerpts from my book, but not seen any increase in people buying it.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Oddly enough, while the first two weeks of the sale were like a firehose in the mouth in terms of book sales, this past week has returned to normal buying levels quite abruptly. What I'm wondering is if this is normal, and if so, will there be one final push at the end of the month for those going after my other books. I say that because I've had gobloads of people downloading my free books, but a limited number getting the paid ones. So I figure it's a lot of window shoppers out looking for a good book/series to get into, and may come back later to buy the others. Or at least I hope that's the case. I'd hate to see this turn into a two week long bang and then fizzle.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #28
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I added my at the 50% level and got a small uptick in sales... not much though.
I suspect that most people who look at the sale look at only the 100% and 75% discount books. I know that I always start with the 100% discount books and depending on how many I "buy", move on to the 75%. From past experience, I have learned that it makes little sense to go beyond the 75% discount because I end up with more books than I can read in several years, so why buy them.

In addition, I found in past sales that many of the 25% and 50% discount books have original prices of $4.99 and up. I have to admit that I am unwilling to spend that kind of money on an unknown author. In your case, I recall getting the first book free and lioking it enough that I immediately bought the 2 other books you had available. However, I would not have bought them without the first book being a free introduction to your writing.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #29
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
So I figure it's a lot of window shoppers out looking for a good book/series to get into, and may come back later to buy the others. Or at least I hope that's the case. I'd hate to see this turn into a two week long bang and then fizzle.
I think this is exactly what will happen EXCEPT that you should not expect it to happen in the immediate future. Based on my own experience, it sometimes takes me months to get to a book I've downloaded from a Smashwords sale because I "buy" all thosw whose synopsis interests me.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Rhadin, that's not a problem. I know people don't read a book a day or anything crazy like that, but if the sale gets more of my books in people's hands, I'm happy. I also price the books down at $2.99 as I know I'm not a big, famous, well known author. I also know that because ebooks require no time, money or other things on my part, I can afford to take a lower income because A) I have a wider possible audience, and B) no expenses such as shipping and the like.