Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonny View Post
Argh, this looks useful but I can't get it to work on my KT for some reason.
I'm glad you like it, I'm sure we'll figure it out. It seems that you've done everything correctly, so I can't judge what seems to be the issue right off the bat. Go to post 11 - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=11
Make a backup of the current hide.sh script, and paste in the alternate code (it's just added verbosity) into the file. Run that a few times on the kindle, and then post or pm the output here. I'll try to figure out what the issue is as best I can.
vaniaspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #17
ejonny
ejonny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Loaded Debug File

Thanks VaniaSpeedy, I backed up the hide.sh file from the profile 1 folder, then cut and pasted the debug script into notepad and saved it as hide.sh and moved that file over into the profile 1 folder to replace the original hide.sh.

Ran it 3 or 4 times then checked for the debug file but it wasn't there. Tried rebooting, reran the hide profile 1 command several more times and rechecked but debug file still not there! (looked in the root of the usb drive, in documents folder, and in the extensions/FolderToggle folder.) hide_profile_1_debug isn't getting created. (Not getting any error messages or anything either.)
ejonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
ejonny
ejonny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Got the debug file to run

I did get the debug file to run (notepad screwed it up I think, i used a different editor to save it this time + resaved the config file too with the new editor in case that was the problem there as well. The normal hide.sh file still doesn't hide anything though) Anyway, here's the dump of the debug file:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 12-03-03 , running debugger
bin
dev
etc
lib
mnt
opt
proc
sbin
sys
tmp
usr
var
250 Things You Should Know About Writing_B005D4Y2GQ.azw
250 Things You Should Know About Writing_B005D4Y2GQ.sdr
A Higher Court_B004AM59MI.azw
A Higher Court_B004AM59MI.sdr
A Treatise of Human Nature_B004TRB7CU.azw
A Treatise of Human Nature_B004TRB7CU.sdr
Always Know What To Say - Easy Ways To Approach And Talk To Anyone_B006YTTVHO.azw
Always Know What To Say - Easy Ways To Approach And Talk To Anyone_B006YTTVHO.sdr
Beyond Good and Evil_B004TS9SB6.azw
Beyond Good and Evil_B004TS9SB6.sdr
Civil Disobedience_B000JQUS48.azw
Civil Disobedience_B000JQUS48.sdr
Curious Myths of the Middle Ages_B0052GDSL0.azw
Curious Myths of the Middle Ages_B0052GDSL0.sdr
Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys_B003VS0ND2.azw
Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys_B003VS0ND2.sdr
Divorced, Desperate and Delicious (Divorced and Desperate)_B0050KTQ0K.azw
Divorced, Desperate and Delicious (Divorced and Desperate)_B0050KTQ0K.sdr
Enemies Foreign And Domestic (The Enemies Trilogy)_B004JF4L98.azw
Enemies Foreign And Domestic (The Enemies Trilogy)_B004JF4L98.sdr
Finnegan's Way_ The Secret Power of Doing Things Badly_B0059HC228.azw
Finnegan's Way_ The Secret Power of Doing Things Badly_B0059HC228.sdr
Home Books
How to Live on 24 Hours a Day_B000JQU7DA.azw
How to Live on 24 Hours a Day_B000JQU7DA.sdr
In the Line of Fire_ How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts_B000P28W6M.azw
In the Line of Fire_ How to Handle Tough Questions...When It Counts_B000P28W6M.sdr
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself_B000JML1RA.azw
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself_B000JML1RA.sdr
Inspirational Quotes for a Purpose-Filled Life of Success_B0073XU33Q.azw
Inspirational Quotes for a Purpose-Filled Life of Success_B0073XU33Q.sdr
Jigsaw Words Volume 2_B00688970M.azw2
Jigsaw Words_B005IQHS7E.azw2
Kindle_Users_Guide.azw
Kindle_Users_Guide.sdr
Learn Me Good_B002C75GXK.azw
Learn Me Good_B002C75GXK.sdr
Lying (Kindle Single)_B005N0KL5G.azw
Lying (Kindle Single)_B005N0KL5G.sdr
Macbeth (mobi)_B004L9L2YE.azw
Macbeth (mobi)_B004L9L2YE.sdr
My Clippings.sdr
My Clippings.txt
Notepad_B004LSLN0I.azw2
On the origin of species_ 016 (Works of Charles Darwin)_B002RKSV2U.azw
On the origin of species_ 016 (Works of Charles Darwin)_B002RKSV2U.sdr
Pride and Prejudice_B000JMLFLW.azw
Pride and Prejudice_B000JMLFLW.sdr
Run_B004PGNF0W.azw
Run_B004PGNF0W.sdr
Stuck With You_B006TI7RYY.azw
Stuck With You_B006TI7RYY.sdr
Thank You Letter_ThankYouLetter_ATVPDKIKX0DER_A3T4TT2Z381HKD .sdr
The Antichrist_B004UJ2GCW.azw
The Antichrist_B004UJ2GCW.sdr
The Critique of Pure Reason_B004UJ05HU.azw
The Critique of Pure Reason_B004UJ05HU.sdr
The Emancipation Proclamation (Little Books of Wisdom)_B002RKS77Y.azw
The Emancipation Proclamation (Little Books of Wisdom)_B002RKS77Y.sdr
The Evolution of Man Scientifically Disproved In 50 Arguments_B000JQV00O.azw
The Evolution of Man Scientifically Disproved In 50 Arguments_B000JQV00O.sdr
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References)_B001EOCFU4.azw
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (with Cross-References)_B001EOCFU4.sdr
The Human Machine_B000JMLC60.azw
The Human Machine_B000JMLC60.sdr
The Quest of the Simple Life_B000JQU4D8.azw
The Quest of the Simple Life_B000JQU4D8.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007CFM568.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007CFM568.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007CVC3IC.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007CVC3IC.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007DDLFWY.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007DDLFWY.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007DQJ6O0.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007DQJ6O0.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007E7X46E.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007E7X46E.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007EMQ8DA.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007EMQ8DA.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007F8Y1A0.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007F8Y1A0.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007FOHFF2.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007FOHFF2.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007G5MJD8.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007G5MJD8.sdr
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007GJN9GA.pobi
The Salt Lake Tribune_B007GJN9GA.sdr
The United States Constitution_B004TPCQWC.azw
The United States Constitution_B004TPCQWC.sdr
The Will to Believe _ and Other Essays in Popular Philosophy_B004TIKN42.azw
The Will to Believe _ and Other Essays in Popular Philosophy_B004TIKN42.sdr
Travelling light_B00537SN0E.azw
Travelling light_B00537SN0E.sdr
Understanding Kant_ Concepts and Intuitions (Understanding Western Philosophy)_B004JHYN3A.azw
Understanding Kant_ Concepts and Intuitions (Understanding Western Philosophy)_B004JHYN3A.sdr
Varieties of Religious Experience, a Study in Human Nature_B002RKSXCI.azw
Varieties of Religious Experience, a Study in Human Nature_B002RKSXCI.sdr
Verbal Advantage_ Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary_B001RLTFC0.azw
Verbal Advantage_ Ten Easy Steps to a Powerful Vocabulary_B001RLTFC0.sdr
Web Browser Surfer 3rd Edition (Web Surfer Series)_B005LOZZ6Y.azw
Web Browser Surfer 3rd Edition (Web Surfer Series)_B005LOZZ6Y.sdr
You are Jailbroken.sdr
Your Brain and Business_ The Neuroscience of Great Leaders_B004C04PFA.azw
Your Brain and Business_ The Neuroscience of Great Leaders_B004C04PFA.sdr
dictionaries
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was trying to use the "Home Books" folder as the folder which would hold the books I wanted hidden/displayed. It only contains one book at this point.

Thanks for any help
ejonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Ok, so looking at the debug I see that it runs and finds your folder with books, and it find the Home Books folder as well, but for some strange reason the actual move and hide functions are never called. In theory, after it lists all of the files it should say "Calling hide function for {file_name_here}", and then display exit status of the function. I will look into this, but at the moment I'm stumped. I'm not quite sure how to duplicate this problem, since it works fine on my kindle, and I haven't modified it in any serious way.

Does anyone else have any ideas? ejonny, thank you for the debug log, I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #20
kindleholic
kindleholic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.0
Thumbs up Folder Toggle Vs. Password Protecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
I decided to have them moved out beyond the scope of the documents folder because it seemed like the simplest way to do it. This way, if something goes wrong you can always move them back manually, or at least you have access to the books through USB.

If someone has access to the USB partition on your kindle, no matter how you hide the books they will still be accessible. I aimed this script at "in-the-field" deployment, for switching profiles on the go.

I'm open to suggestions for doing this more efficiently, as this process does take about a minute each time.
What about instead of "moving" the files from one folder to another "in-the-field" explore the possibility of having password protection for Collections, or for selected book?

I use it and my friends would like to borrow it to read specific books, lets say I open the book for them, so they would have to go back to Menu and browse for other Collections or Books, and if they want to open them, VOILA! password protection.

There are many reasons to implement a system of password protecting some books or documents, no need to use encryption for the file, just protect it from access on-the-go.

Let me know how possible is this. I am learning Linux, but I am far away to being able to write such application by myself. Still if there is anything that I can contribute, I am more than happy to do so.

Thanks for the app, I am using it, still haven't figure it out if it has to do with Registering the Kindle first, because despite me hiding the Documents, still they display, or maybe is because of Calibre creating a Metafile of the library????

kindleholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleholic View Post
What about instead of "moving" the files from one folder to another "in-the-field" explore the possibility of having password protection for Collections, or for selected book?

I use it and my friends would like to borrow it to read specific books, lets say I open the book for them, so they would have to go back to Menu and browse for other Collections or Books, and if they want to open them, VOILA! password protection.

There are many reasons to implement a system of password protecting some books or documents, no need to use encryption for the file, just protect it from access on-the-go.

Let me know how possible is this. I am learning Linux, but I am far away to being able to write such application by myself. Still if there is anything that I can contribute, I am more than happy to do so.
This is a fantastic idea! This is more java than linux though, since on the linux end the most I can do is move files. The user end of the kindle is mostly java and html (see here), so this hack would involve creating some code that could intercept the action of opening a collection and prompt for a password. I know on the iOS platform "mobile substrate" is a prime example, however I'm not sure if anyone has created a similar tweak for the kindle.

I have a limited understanding of java, but I think this is very doable. The skeleton code would be like this:

Code:
Function.onClick() { //when someone clicks on a collection, do this
    passwordPrompt(); //prompt for a password
    openCollection(); //or do whatever it is the kinlde does on click

}//end Function.onClick

Function.passwordPrompt(){
// check if this is a protected collection
// if no then quit
// if yes continue
// prompt for password (using an html popup?)
// check if password is valid
 if (Valid)
   open collection // just use break
 else
   quit //with non-zero exit code
}//end passwordPrompt
*Note - this is dummy code, none of it actually works

Quote:
Thanks for the app, I am using it, still haven't figure it out if it has to do with Registering the Kindle first, because despite me hiding the Documents, still they display, or maybe is because of Calibre creating a Metafile of the library????
Not sure what you mean, but if you're referring to the dictionaries and the user guide, those are redownloaded every time.
Glad you like it, let's keep each other updated in case you or I make progress on this project.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
Emrexcem
Turkish :)
Emrexcem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5.03)
İts not actualy a "password" but you can use profiles http://goo.gl/kuMr4 << and you can hide your collections. but if you want to create a pasword i think u should edit custom script part. This could help you with changing the profiles file.
Emrexcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
Dirk2718
Enthusiast
Dirk2718 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Touch (5.1.0)
Hallo vaniaspeedy,

I like your FolderToggle hack, because one doesn´t see the documents, so one won´t search them.

But on my Kindle Touch the hack doesn´t work. I add a folder from the "documents" folder to the config file of profile 1 and don´t make any other changes. But nothing happens when clicking "Hide / Show Profile 1". Can you help me?

Thank you and best regards
Dirk
Dirk2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk2718 View Post
Hallo vaniaspeedy,

I like your FolderToggle hack, because one doesn´t see the documents, so one won´t search them.

But on my Kindle Touch the hack doesn´t work. I add a folder from the "documents" folder to the config file of profile 1 and don´t make any other changes. But nothing happens when clicking "Hide / Show Profile 1". Can you help me?

Dirk
I'm glad you like it, I'm sure we'll figure it out. It seems that you've done everything correctly, so I can't judge what seems to be the issue right off the bat. Go to post 11 - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=11
Make a backup of the current hide.sh script, and paste in the alternate code (it's just added verbosity) into the file. Run that a few times on the kindle, and then post or pm the output here. I'll try to figure out what the issue is as best I can.

Also, what version OS are you using? Is it a KT with SO or ad-free?
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #25
Dirk2718
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post

Also, what version OS are you using? Is it a KT with SO or ad-free?
I´ll give you the information this evening or tomorrow, because I´ve forgotten my Kindle.

I´m using the version 5.1.0.
What do you mean with SO? I don´t know the shortcut. Is there a FAQ for these things?
Till now I only installed the jailbreak and GUI Lauchner from the wiki before installing your FolderToggle.
I hope this answers your question.

While trying to use the FolderToggle hack, I thought about an additional feature for the FolderToggle.
Any other person who use my kindle and knows about the GUI Launcher or just plays around with the menu, will find the "Hide/Show" menu, I think. And with one click the user see my hidden documents.
My idea: Is it possible to create a Search Bar Shortcut to hide/show a profile? Perhaps it could be composed by a fixed part for identifying the folder hack ";ft" and a free to choose password with a fixed lenght "987" followed by the number of the profile "2". Result: ";ft9872".

What do you think about this? I think in terms of "What you don´t see, you won´t search for." it would be a nice improvement.

Kind regards
Dirk
Old 04-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #26
Dirk2718
Enthusiast

I sent you a pm with the debug-file.

Dirk
Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #27
Dirk2718
Enthusiast

Hallo vaniaspeedy,

do you have any news? Our are you out of time at the moment?

Best regards
Dirk
Old 05-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #28
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hallo vaniaspeedy,

do you have any news? Our are you out of time at the moment?

Best regards
Dirk
Hello, sorry I haven't replied, I was backlogged on various projects.
From the output, it seems that the actual hide function is never called, so I don't know what the matter is. The script initializes in your root, as normal, and then it just stops. Unfortunately I have no ideas on what to do to make it work. I can't duplicate the problem on my kindle. I'll look into it.

Here is my zip file, can you try using these files and see if it works?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/knx263jq14...oggle-mine.zip
I took it directly off my kindle. Change the config in profile 1 and see if that does the trick.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #29
Dirk2718
Enthusiast

Hey vaniaspeedy,

your sources work very well!
Did you changed something?

What do you think about my suggestion from Post 25?

Best regards
Dirk
Old 05-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #30
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hey vaniaspeedy,

your sources work very well!
Did you changed something?
Awesome, I'm glad we got this fixed! I'll try updating the main zip, must be an error in there somewhere.
Quote:
What do you think about my suggestion from Post 25?
I think it's a great idea, it seems to involve some more java and framework knowledge than I currently have, so I've added it to my "someday" list. I might be more free in July, so if I have the time and drive I will take a stab at it. If anyone else is interested in working with me on this, it would be much appreciated.

Tags
folder, gui, hiding, toggle, yifanlu