Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #16
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
nevermind

Last edited by Adjust; 08-02-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
saskir
saskir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Oh this is also something I would find interesting cuz I hate to set all the links manually. Usually I set the footnotes with a number in []-brackets and use a unique class to show them how I want. If there would be a regex command to automatically add some code for it I would be delighted.

And which code to you use that every note gets a own page?
saskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskir View Post
And which code to you use that every note gets a own page?
this is simple in CSS. You just use a class for notes and include a page-break-before in the CSS file, same as you would for starting a new chapter on a new page. It is a bit cumbersome to wade through so you might want a jump on the first page to jump over all these separate pages.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #19
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Contrary to my earlier post, I will enter the debate by saying - here's a neat idea on footnotes/endnotes: http://newkindofbook.com/2011/07/not...dnote-designs/

"they stuff that material into a now-you-see-it, now-you-don’t part of the page canvas. The signal that extra info awaits is the universally recognizable plus sign, which morphs into the minus sign when the note text is onscreen."

But will this work in an epub?
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Not in current ePUB, as there is no "canvas". But something similar would have been possible had any reader implemented the display:oeb-page-foot in such a way. Alas, they simply ignore it.

I'm sure it will be possible in ePUB 3, with all kinds of script tricks that you'd have to test and tweak for every different reader...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:40 AM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Probably, why support the easier display: oeb-page-foot which is already in the specs?

Sigh.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Probably, why support the easier display: oeb-page-foot which is already in the specs?

Sigh.
True.

And the wording will probably be the same in the ePub3 specs, so people will ignore the various parts as they see fit when creating/updating their reader engines. Just like the they did/do with the current ePub specs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post

Sigh.
oeb-page-foot is for footers, not footnotes. It is not intended to be linked to an item on the page and repeats on every page until changed. there is also a head tag in the specs for a header line. I would like to see these supported for what they are designed for, not bastardized into footnotes.

Actually the direction for footnotes that matches this discussion is to place the footnote in the title of a span around the footnoted text and then popup a box displaying the title text when the user clicks on the visual link. The visual link could be selected like a regular link but the popup box would appear instead of following the link. The title idea is similar to the wave a browser displays help when you hover over a word. e-Ink can do this sort of popup already as it does for displaying a menu.

Dale
Old 08-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #24
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Back to this old chestnut.

I'm currently adding a 'hyperlink destination' in the text via the Hyperlinks panel in ID, and then inserting a hyperlink in the endnote section, which links back to that text. And vice versa if required. Is this the currently best way to go about it?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_ink View Post
Back to this old chestnut.

I'm currently adding a 'hyperlink destination' in the text via the Hyperlinks panel in ID, and then inserting a hyperlink in the endnote section, which links back to that text. And vice versa if required. Is this the currently best way to go about it?
yes, it is. The only question is where the endnote goes. Some put in at the end of the chapter so that the eBook reader doesn't have to load another document and some put it at the end of the book so that they are all together.

Dale
Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
I put footnotes at the end of chapters, and Endnotes I set up under a notes section at the back
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
virtual_ink
Zealot

Thanks ya'll.

Wish I could build a script that would identify superscript numerals, match them with numerals set in another style, and convert them all to hyper-linked references at the flick of a switch. Until then, books with 800 endnotes are going to drive me insane! At least I'm not alone in this.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_ink View Post
Thanks ya'll.

Wish I could build a script that would identify superscript numerals, match them with numerals set in another style, and convert them all to hyper-linked references at the flick of a switch. Until then, books with 800 endnotes are going to drive me insane! At least I'm not alone in this.
This is one area where Microsoft word does the right thing. Footnotes in word are converted with links both ways.

Dale
Old 08-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer the endnotes to be at the back. They can be in one slow but with page breaks to only show the relevant endnote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
laras
laras began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The only way I know how to do this is to create an anchor and a hyperlink for each linking direction. I think InDesign would be better than Dreamweaver to do this, personally, since it exports well. And you can easily see the anchors and links by looking in the Edit in Story Editor view.

This will be a ton of work for you. I wish there were a more simple was to do a bi-directional link.
laras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endnotes, epub, indesign