Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
airjaw
airjaw began at the beginning.

Device: other
iTunes/Steam-like e-reader + store for books?

Hi everyone, hoping to get your opinions or comments on this.

What do you think about a program similar to iTunes or Steam where you can buy new books and read them in the program? It would be an e-book manager. Like in steam, the books would be available to you forever, and you could buy from the store. Like in iTunes, you'd be able to lend books to friends.

The files would be in a public format so that readers could put them on any device: kindle, ipad, generic e-reader, etc. altho I think it'd be easier if you just had an app that synced with your account, so you didn't have to upload books to your device all the time

What do you think?
airjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is no one format that is readable on all devices. And no one program will run on all platforms (not everything runs Java). The closest existing thing to what you propose is the Amazon/Kindle environment. Readable on Kindles, Kindle apps on pc, iPad, iPhone, Android devices, etc. However, if someone has a Sony or Nook, and the books have DRM, they would not be readable.

If you are serious, how would your idea be any different than any of the existing stores and/or apps?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert