Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
University of Chicago Press books

Hi All,

Don't know if this can be of use to others, but I just noticed that books from University of Chicago Press, which I thought were only available in pdf format (and with DRM to boost, yuck), are available in ePub (unfortunately also with DRM, yuck) at Kobo. I don't know if they are geo-restricted but they are available for France at any rate.

I have my eyes on Loving Little Egypt, a book I heard about a few months ago, and I was very excited when I found it was offered as a free download, and very disappointed when it turned out it was in pdf format. I'm delighted to see it's now available in ePub, though I haven't made up my mind yet whether to buy it. I read a few pages of the pdf version and the writing looks OK, and the story seems intriguing.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
UC Press offers a freebie every month, and if you sign up for one, they'll send you a monthly e-mail when a new freebie appears. I use the IOS Bluefire app to read mine, but here's a link in case anyone wants more info for other devices/formats:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ebooks/index.html

(That page includes a link to the monthly freebie.)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
UC Press offers a freebie every month, and if you sign up for one, they'll send you a monthly e-mail when a new freebie appears. I use the IOS Bluefire app to read mine, but here's a link in case anyone wants more info for other devices/formats:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/ebooks/index.html

(That page includes a link to the monthly freebie.)
That's right, but the freebies are in pdf format with DRM (unless that has changed?) so you will need Adobe Digital Edition to at least activate it first, before removing the DRM to read it with another software. Or did I miss something?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
That's right, but the freebies are in pdf format with DRM (unless that has changed?) so you will need Adobe Digital Edition to at least activate it first, before removing the DRM to read it with another software. Or did I miss something?
I didn't check the freebies format, because I read 'em via ADE on iPad. I pasted the link so people can check for themselves.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
jumpuphigh
jumpuphigh began at the beginning.

Device: none
The freebie is a pdf. It does not convert well into epub.
jumpuphigh is offline   Reply With Quote