Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE
Questions about creating a Backup, fanfiction, and covers

Hi, I was wondering if I could create a backup of the metadata to make it easier to readd all my tags and stuff to my epub files in case i switch computers or if my computer has to be wiped out.

I have over 280 books in calibre right now and all of them have tags added to them and columns added (like series, ratings, characters, complete, etc...). As i have Windows Vista it tends to get messed up a lot and I have to keep reinstalling the OS.

I would like to know if something happens and i need to reinstall calibre and readd all my ebooks (which are all stored on a flashdrive) can i just import the old metadata somehow to get those columns and tags back so i don't have to go through each book to readd them?

I also wanted to know how I could add a cover inside the epub file itself. I mostly have fanfiction in my calibre library and some i've made custom covers for. I've added covers through the metadata, but when i open the epub file to read the cover isn't there, instead it's just the default cover when you download with fanfictiondownloader.

And for those with a Nook, is there a way to search by series/tags or see the summaries? (i don't have an ereader currently, but plan to get a Nook and put fanfics on it in addition to regular ebooks)
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As well as storing the metadata in the Calibre database, Calibre also saves the metadata in a file called metadata.opf with each book. This can be used by Calibre to reconstitute it's database.

As far a getting a cover inserted into an ePub book the easiest way is to run a conversion in Calibre ( even it is ePub -> ePub ). Another easy way is to use the Sigil ePub editor.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre metadata, covers, fanfiction, fanfictiondownloader, nook