Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Exporting Kindle books

Hopefully, this will not be considering a post against the regulations of this website. That is not the intention at all. I am a newcomer to the Kindle world and I have been playing with my Kindle device. Therefore, this post is only an attempt to obtain some information on how Amazon Kindle system works. Here is the question. Say that I have several Kindle devices registered to different owners, say my wife's, my brother's, my brother wife's, etc. Is it possible to export their respective books and import into each other's devices? In other words, the general question becomes: are you able to export Kindle books from your device and import into another device? Any information on how this system works would be appreciated.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
are you able to export Kindle books from your device and import into another device?
Not by design. Each Kindle download has drm specific to the device's id.

That being said, if the devices were registered to the same Amazon account, those devices could each download the same book on one purchase (subject to publishers restrictions). My mom and I both have Kindles registered to the same Amazon accounts, which is how we share books.

Last edited by Boston; 08-01-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
You can only share books if the kindles are on the same account. For example, my husband, child and I all have kindles on the same account. Any of us can buy any book, and any of us can download any book bought by the others. This is why I do not have either my child on my kindle account.
Sydney's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Thank you for the information. It makes sense from Amazon's perspective. However, why should you not be able to give a book you paid for?

Last edited by zetareticuli; 08-01-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Thank you for the information. It makes sense from Amazon's perspective. However, why should you not be able to give a book you paid for?
lost sales if not restricted

The Nook (B&N) has an option to loan..but its also restricted and for my purposes, the Amazon option actually works better.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

Yes, it is all out of financial interest. That is understandable. However, I guess Amazon has not been entirely successful. I hear my colleagues at work who have owned Kindles for a while talk about how they can download certain "cracked" Kindle books from a website hosted in China.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
You can "swap" books by temporarily de-registering and re-registering Kindles between accounts just long enough to have a properly DRM-encoded copy sent to the relevant device.

I understand this is how Kindle books are frequently shared in family situations where the adults may want to keep their own orders billed/paid for separately, and perhaps have another separate account with only material considered suitable for the children, but still allow each member access to the household's pooled purchases but not their personal archives and 1-click buying capability.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Like others said, within the terms that Amazon has set, you must be registered to the same account at the time you want to share. Is it possible to give books? Yes. It is possible to strip the DRM off and share the book. This is not only a violation of Amazon's ToS but it is also illegal in most if not all countries in which the Kindle is sold. I don't know if Amazon explores the contents of your Kindle enough to catch you but I certainly wouldn't call it a risk-free proposition. Switching your registration is a good way to effectively loan a book without violating the terms of sale. It's even offers a benefit over the physical book since you can have a book on up to six devices at a time.

If you do this, you may want to disable Whispersync since it will move your place in the book to the latest spot read on any of the devices on you account that have connected to the Internet. My husband and I both share an account so we disable this feature. Unfortunately, the Kindle ecosystem doesn't let you link accounts or specify which devices belong to which user in a single account. I wish this were not the case since I occasionally like to read on my phone and would love to be able to have that sync but not have it affect my husband if he happens to be reading the same book.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote