Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 03:46 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
New iPhone 3G and not a clue...

... as to how to go about using it to read e-books. I finally just got comfortable converting books for my Sony 505 and transfering them to the reader. But as of today, 'iTunes' still has me turning in circles. I've downloaded a couple of different e-readers from the net but haven't had the time yet to experiment.

Can any experienced iPhone users give me some good advice? Which reader to load, what formats, etc.? 99% or my reading is pure text without graphics, for the Sony using epub, and lrf.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Deleted: Just noticed you're talking about the iPhone, not the iPad!

Last edited by HarryT; 06-06-2010 at 04:04 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
iBooks for iPhone is rumoured to be out with iPhone OS4, so not long to wait. I found Kindle app & store to be far the easiest way of buying and reading books for iPhone, but I also used Stanza in the past, which worked pretty well. Been a while, so for advice re. getting the content onto the device is probably best sought from someone with more current experience, though!

HTH Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Caleb
Voracious eReader
Caleb began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I believe el Stevo announced iBooks support for 3G or 3GS in iPhone OS 4.0 which should be released in the early 3rd quarter. I do recall that this update would not work on version 1 devices, and seem to recall it would not work on v2 devices (hardware revisions, not O/S versions.). So if you got your phone in the last 12 months you should be ok. Google search iPhone 4 and you should find reference. Tuaw.com might also be a good place to look.

May I suggest Stanza (it's on iTunes) to start, and go pick up a free program called Calibre. This app will act like a server on your local PC allowing you to serve up ePub and non-DRM books to Stanza. Calibre will show up in Stanza under, Get Books, Shared, Shared on Local Computer. Note, wifi local network only unless you are up to some network config, port forwarding, dynDNS goodness.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if iBooks for the iPhone/iPod Touch is anything like it is for the iPad, you'll get maybe 3-5 words per line given the ridiculous margins iBooks uses.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally I think the margins look very good on the iPad, Jon.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the help, folks. I've managed to get quite a few different readers onto the phone, along with many 'classic' books, so this gives me a base to work from. I put in the Kindle app as well and can easily understand how to buy books via Amazon. I'm comfortable with Calibre from my past year with the Sony 505, so converting formats isn't a problem once I know which format works best.

But what I really need to know is;

How do I load books into the phone that I already have in my computer's library, which format works best, and which reader works best.

Stitchawl
Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

How do I load books into the phone that I already have in my computer's library, which format works best, and which reader works best.

I use Stanza and the epub format. If you already have the epubs in Calibre, you can set up a local server and use wifi to transfer the books from Calibre to the iPhone. The Calibre website has directions on setting up a local server.

Once iBooks comes out for the iPhone, it will be simpler. With iBooks, you would drag your epubs to the Books folder in iTunes and sync.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Caleb
Voracious eReader
Caleb began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Easy peasy.

Under Calibre, click on Preferences.
Look for the Content Server on the left hand tool bar.
Click on the Start Server button, and/or check the Run server automatically on startup.

You can add a username and password if you choose, but so long as you are behind a router, and your local Wifi is running in WPA or WPA2, it is likely unnecessary.

Once that is complete, grab your iPhone/Pad/device and open Stanza. You will need to be connected to the same WiFi network on your Calibre server (a lan port of the wireless router should work fine).

In Stanza:
Click on Get Books, then click on Shared.
You should see a section titles Shared on Local Computer.
Under that you should see server on, or Calibre on [Your Computer Name]. Click on that link and every book you have set up in calibre you should see on your device. If you haven't yet in Calibre, you will want to change the output to ePub and probably do a mass Convert E-books.

Hope that helps.
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I went from the Sony to Stanza on the Touch. Un-drmed the epubs from Sony reader library. I never could get Calibre to transfer so I use the Stanza desktop to transfer - needs wifi so don't know how it would work with the iphone. Really love Stanza and all the things you can do with it and my Sony Readers sit on the shelf and collect dust now.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Thanks for all the help, folks! I've put Stanza into the phone and the computer. Should solve all my troubles. I don't think I'll use the phone for a heck of a lot of reading. I prefer the larger size of the Sony. But it will certainly come in handy when I don't want to carry anything extra. Thanks again.

Stitchawl
Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #12
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Deleted: Just noticed you're talking about the iPhone, not the iPad!
Harry, is the iPad worth the money? I know it's a 'fun' toy, but does it cut it in the real world?

Stitchawl
Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Harry, is the iPad worth the money? I know it's a 'fun' toy, but does it cut it in the real world?

Stitchawl
I can honestly say that I think it's one of, if not the, most useful device I've ever bought. For me, it's worth every penny. Every day I use it I find new uses for it. It's superb.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #14
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can honestly say that I think it's one of, if not the, most useful device I've ever bought. For me, it's worth every penny. Every day I use it I find new uses for it. It's superb.
Go away... My wallet is not allowed to read this..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Thanks, Harry. (From me.) Damn you, Harry. (From my wife.)

Since getting the iPhone two days ago (and still having no real conception of all it can do,) I've found myself using it at least a dozen times saving me time and effort. Only once was as a phone! I imagine the iPad is even more effective.

Stitchawl