Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: What standby time on iRex 800? (Fully charged to dry). Multiple answers allowed.
It never goes dry, I charge it about any other day. 1 5.88%
I experience about the same as with any other readers. 3 17.65%
I experience longer standby time as with most other readers. 0 0%
I experience shorter standby time as with most other readers. 4 23.53%
I have about 3 days. 1 5.88%
I have about 5 days. 1 5.88%
I have about 1 week. 6 35.29%
I have about 2 weeks. 8 47.06%
I don't have any reason to worry, energy consumption seems absolutely fine. 5 29.41%
Something's odd, I'm sceptical about its energy consumption. 2 11.76%
I've got mine less than 2 weeks. 0 0%
I've got mine between 2 and 4 weeks. 5 29.41%
I've got mine between 1 and 2 months. 4 23.53%
I've got mine for more than 2 months. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Standby time on iRex 800

In https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76835 I've started a discussion about my iRex 800 getting drained pretty quickly (about 4 days).
Some have the same experience, others have 2 weeks.

So, what's your standby time on iRex 800? (From fully charged to dry).

Of course, it will be extremely difficult to compare. Some read every day, others only some days. Some read for hours, others only briefly. Some will use 3G intensively, others not at all (I've got the 800S, so no 3G usage at all).
But still this should give an impression about the range of standby cycles...

Perfect of course would be, actually doing nothing at all. Just watching the battery without any activity. From fully charged to (close to) zero.
I'm testing this right now: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=76
My battery test points towards 1 to 1.5 weeks. Seems to be in line with most of you.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-14-2010 at 07:14 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've only run through a single full charge cycle so far, but I charged it on 2/23 and had it finally power itself off due to a low battery on 3/9, so that was exactly 2 weeks.

Usage pattern was a couple hours a day of reading, with almost no 3G activity (only used it once to see if I could connect to B&N, didn't download anything). In between reading sessions I flick the switch in order to tell it to go into Standby.

I did not track the exact number of hours of active use vs standby, but I'll try to do that soon.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a comment, but it's important to take usage pattern into consideration with Standby time.

Are you specifically interested in the max Standby... IE with no other usage? Things like how many hours of reading per day, how much 3G connectivity/downloading you do, how much the stylus is used... will probably have a big impact.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Just a comment, but it's important to take usage pattern into consideration with Standby time.

Are you specifically interested in the max Standby... IE with no other usage? Things like how many hours of reading per day, how much 3G connectivity/downloading you do, how much the stylus is used... will probably have a big impact.
Added this as a comment to the first thread a few minutes ago, sorry.
I guess, only few will have the patience, to check out the maximum standby without any activity.
And activities of course will differ. Some will read heavily, others only frequently. Some will use 3G extensively, others not at all.
But after the first phase of experimenting, average reading habits should differ less. Still no valid statistics of course. But it should give a picture.
So, basically my question is: How often do you charge (*), given your "standard" reading behavior.

(*)...your battery being (close to) dry.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-12-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But after the first phase of experimenting, average reading habits should differ less. Still no valid statistics of course. But it should give a picture.
I agree, it's still useful data to have.
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I guess, only few will have the patience, to check out the maximum standby without any activity.
One thing we could possibly do is have several people measure it over a day or two with no activity, and then extrapolate from there. See if we're getting relatively consistent results.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
One thing we could possibly do is have several people measure it over a day or two with no activity, and then extrapolate from there. See if we're getting relatively consistent results.
Shall we start with 16 hours, starting from fully charged (battery level as close as possible to 100%), without any activities, as our first "milestone"?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
You might want to test with two different modes. One with Airplane mode turn on and another with it off.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Okay, if you don't have 3G in the Euro version then airplane mode wouldn't show up on the Setting screen.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, irex 800