Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
High Performance Computing for Dummies

Here is the free e-book - with a link that doesn't compromise private contact details! Linky
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
I don't like the idea of a very short post with no information and a hidden link. I for one won't be following and think that the post should be updated by the author with information and unhide the link.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob101 View Post
I don't like the idea of a very short post with no information and a hidden link. I for one won't be following and think that the post should be updated by the author with information and unhide the link.
The link is not hidden. if you put the mouse pointer over the link, you will see the link shown at the bottom left of your browser window. A hidden link would be if it was a tiny url type link.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're very circumspect, aren't you?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
The link points to a registration formular at the website of SUN Microsystems (or should we say Oracle now? ). If one fills in the form he/she can download a free version of "High Performance Computing for Dummies". It's seems to be a valid and serious offer to get a free ebook.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
I suppose I've gotten used to detailed posts here with all the information on the offer and the full link visable that when I see a post as brief as that it makes me suspicious. And as a wise man once said the question is not are you paranoid but are you paranoid enough.

I stand corrected and apologise for any implication I made have made in error.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The book is on Sun's web site - you know, the guys that build those expensive high performance computers. As another said, hover over the link and you can see it in the status bar (if you turned it off, use your menus to turn it back on or copy the shortcut and look at it in notepad first). What I hate are the tinyurl type links - although at least tinyurl lets you turn on previews and you can preview links in bit.ly by adding a plus sign at the end of the link; for some other link hiders, I haven't found the secrets to seeing where I am going, so simply skip the links entirely.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please refer to Sun's Privacy Statement to see if the terms meet with your personal and specific needs.

Every individual's needs and concerns are different. You must evaluate your needs and concerns.

Sun's Privacy statement is here:

http://www.sun.com/privacy/version_3.0/index.jsp

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
You want high performance computing? Scrap Object Oriented Architecture...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

I'm on Sun's mailing list so I get these every now and then.
This seemed like the best one I'd seen in a long time so I thought to share this time
I was short because the 1st time I put up a link that happens to 'auto-fill' with personal contact details!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I'd vote for that. Twice.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard

How could I get by without all things object oriented?..
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
You could also write "You want high performance computing? Scrap [insert anything else than monolithic architecture, procedural programming and assembler]".

Anyway, usually complex high performance systems are based on a functional architecture and incooperate object oriented architecture these days.

And yes, you can build high performance systems even with usage of object oriented architectures. Sure, similiar systems without an object oriented aproach would be most likely more performant, though also most likely worse maintainable and lesser reuseable. I've seen, designed and implemented different aproaches and i still prefer the object oriented aproach, though with restrictions if the requested system really targets "high performance".

As always, this is just my personal opinion based on my own experiences and hidden prejudices.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
This is a fairly close-knit community and we get to know each other to an extent over the course of a few hundred posts. Enough to know whether the linky is likely a scam or not. AprilHare is an old-timer (900+ posts since April 2008), so don't worry, be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
...you can preview links in bit.ly by adding a plus sign at the end of the link...
Thanks--I didn't know that!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
You could also write "You want high performance computing? Scrap [insert anything else than monolithic architecture, procedural programming and assembler]". ...
+1. People can build crappy systems with and without O-O! And vicey-versey.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #15
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
There's also a ton of free techie books at IBM Redbooks library. From what I could tell, there's no registration required.
It's mostly IBM related stuff, but there is a lot of general IT as well.
If SOA/BPM is your game, SoftwareAG has a free SOA and BPM for dummies books too! I don't have the URL handy, but I think you'll need to register to download.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote