Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Battery Life Reading PDF vs. LRF/Epub

Hi,

Does anyone feel that they get shorter battery life while reading PDF's vs. LRF or Epub? I've had my 505 since May and I love it. I also have a Kindle 2 and a Pocket Pro but the Sony is my favorite. I generally read at least 2 hours per day and frequently more. I buy a lot of books from Fictionwise in the .lit format and convert to LRF in Calibre (I don't use their LRF because I like a certain amount of white space and I can control that if I convert).

Anyway, I do have a good many books in DRM free PDF format also and I've been reading a lot of those lately. I just don't think I'm getting as much out of a battery charge as when I'm reading the other formats. I use the AC charger overnight and a day or so later I am down to 3 bars on the battery. A day after that it's half drained. I do tend to enlarge the font more on the PDFs so I'm getting fewer words per page so that may account for some of it.

I also seem to have more reboots when I'm reading PDF than LRF. I don't really have anything stored in the main memory, everthing is on the Memory stick and SD card. I load everthing to the Sony using Calibre.

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Thanks.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
vrf3
vrf3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Reading PDFs does drain the battery faster and using a memory or sd card does too. Also someone advised me that you get only "fully" charged when charging via USB to PC.
vrf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Definetly shorter battery life with PDF - even when I read at the default font. It's also slower to page turn, and generally more annoying all round. However when it's the only format available it's easier to read it, than faff around trying to get a decent conversion.

I can't confirm the issue with AC charging though, that seems about the same as USB to me.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Thanks for the confirmation. I have never been successful in converting PDF's so I guess I'll just have to be aware of the battery issue if I'm reading a bunch of them in a row.

I did read here at MR that it's better to charge with the wall charger than the USB though. It's mentioned over and over again in the Sony forum, especially when people are having issues with the reader freezing up. I only use the USB when I'm loading books through Calibre.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
I use the Reader exclusively for adapted PDFs. I read an average 2-3 hrs/day. I controlled my battery life for about 8 months, charging from a wall charger. Lasted an average 19 days per charge.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert