Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
monka
monka began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS-505 or 500?

Hi guys,

I know that Sony PRS-505 is better than Sony PRS-500 The question is - how much better? If the PRS-500 is $50 cheaper than the 505 (both are used), which one should I buy? Or, to put it in another way - for which difference in price is it worth buying the 500, if money is pretty tight?
monka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by monka View Post
I know that Sony PRS-505 is better than Sony PRS-500 The question is - how much better? If the PRS-500 is $50 cheaper than the 505 (both are used), which one should I buy? Or, to put it in another way - for which difference in price is it worth buying the 500, if money is pretty tight?
Perhaps $75 better? The PRS-500 wasn't particularly good. It is hard to see the screen, the controls aren't laid out nearly as well, it is slow to do just about anything, it is no longer supported by Sony (although they claim they'll issue an update when their store switches formats), the USB is slow, and it doesn't support ePub (DRM or otherwise).

$50 may seem like a lot, but it really isn't in this case.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Go for the 505 unless something is wrong with it. I personally think it is still the best Sony Reader (provided you don't need touch-screen or annotation.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Perhaps $75 better? The PRS-500 wasn't particularly good. It is hard to see the screen, the controls aren't laid out nearly as well, it is slow to do just about anything, it is no longer supported by Sony (although they claim they'll issue an update when their store switches formats), the USB is slow, and it doesn't support ePub (DRM or otherwise).

$50 may seem like a lot, but it really isn't in this case.
I'm still using my PRS-500 daily, and I don't find it hard to read or slow at all. However, I would say the PRS-505 is definitely at least $50 better, probably more, if only because of the ability to read library books natively.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another point to consider is that any PRS-500 is now going to be at least 3 years old, meaning that its battery will be "in its twilight years", and rapidly losing capacity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
monka
monka began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to everybody! I'll consider it
monka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
While you can always convert using Calibre, the fact that the PRS-500 doesn't support EPUB would be something that would give me pause for thought.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monka View Post
Hi guys,

Is there anything comparable to the 505 currently available? I don't know much about the universe of eReaders other than Sony, Kindle & now B&N. But what strikes me is that the 505 is a convenient size, has the SD drive (which, incidentally, is recognized by the Sony Library software when plugged in via a flash drive - i.e., you don't have to attach the 505 to load it) and is apparently the most open of the Big 3 - and does ePub. My 300 is more convenient, but the 505 - particularly at a discount - seems to me to be a very good value.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The BeBook (and clones) are also a very good choice, if you're after a 6" device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
has the SD drive (which, incidentally, is recognized by the Sony Library software when plugged in via a flash drive - i.e., you don't have to attach the 505 to load it)
The problem is to stop the Sony Library software thinking that various flash drives (and network drives) are fair game for writing to!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #11
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
The problem is to stop the Sony Library software thinking that various flash drives (and network drives) are fair game for writing to!
But aren't they?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
But aren't they?
Not when it creates a "Sony Reader" or whatever it was folder on the root of my corporate network drive!

I think it was that my Reader appeared on drive F:, and my network shares included drive G: (I'm on a Mac now, so don't have the same problem).