Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
joy83
joy83 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question from a newbee

Sorry if this has been asked before since it is a very common question. I was just wondering if I can transfer .pdf files from my computer to the reader or does it have to be just the ebooks bought from the sony store that I can read on the reader?

Another question that is very common, which is the better Sony reader, the one with 6inch screen or the pocket version with 5inch screen?

Thanks
joy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Welcome, joy83.

Pdfs are one of the file types that can be transferred to your Reader. Some of them look great and some of them look terrible - it all depends on how the individual pdf files are formatted. You can also read other files such as epubs, and you can obtain them anywhere you like, not just at the Sony store.

The question about the better Reader is harder to answer because it depends on what you want to do with your device and how much you want to spend. The 300 (pocket) is more portable and cheaper and has better screen clarity, but the 600 (touch) is larger and has a lot more features, including dictionary support and removable memory. I suggest you spend some time looking at the Which on should I buy? forum. You should be able to find the answers to all your questions. I also suggest going to a store that sells both devices (like Best Buy in the US) so you can get a feel for both.

Good luck!
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy83 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before since it is a very common question. I was just wondering if I can transfer .pdf files from my computer to the reader or does it have to be just the ebooks bought from the sony store that I can read on the reader?
The Sony's will read books from the Sony store and also DRM'd ePubs and PDFs from stores like Books On Boards. It will also read ePubs and PDFs without DRM. PDFs generally don't look as nice as ePub or Sony's LRF/LRX format unless they were formatted for a smaller screen.

Quote:
Another question that is very common, which is the better Sony reader, the one with 6inch screen or the pocket version with 5inch screen?
The answer is, it depends. A lot of folks feel the recently discontinued PRS-505, now found on clearance some places, is the best. The Pocket Edition (PRS-300) is very similar to the 505 except the screen is a bit smaller and it doesn't accept memory cards (it does have more built in memory though). You'll find lots of opinions on the Touch Edition (6" touch screen), PRS-600, here on the forum. Some don't like it and others love it.

If you don't need a touch screen, note capability or dictionary I'd probably look at the 505 or 300. If you do then the 600 might be right for you.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I transfer pdf files (usually free books) to my reader all the time. Sometimes they open with adobe reader and I save them as pdf files, then open Adobe Digital Editions, and add them to my library. (At least I think this is the way to do it lol)
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It very much depends upon how the pdf is formatted. Some are perfect for ereaders, others are awful. I try the pdf on my 505, and if it looks fine, I keep it as a pdf. If it looks awful, I delete it and go back to the file on computer, see if it allows "copy to clipboard" (this is usually found under edit), if it does, I try to reformat it in Word. I devised an ereader template. Sometimes, this looks great. If it still looks a bit off, I wizz the rtf file through Calibre to convert to lrf. This usually works.

I hope this helps.

As to which reader: I'm not fond of either the 300 or the 600 and would advise trying to find a 505, even a second hand one. As previous posters have mentioned, it depends what functions you want in the reader. If you mainly want it for reading, rather than notation, the 300 might be better. If, like me, you prefer a large font, the smaller screen might be a bit of an issue.

Welcome to MR.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert