Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Rebranding on my mind (Georgia was on it last week)

I've recently run across a few comments that suggested e-books could use some more effort at rebranding. After so many years of lackluster sales, confusing formats, DRM arguments, etc, etc, e-books are carrying a lot of dead weight with them that they could stand to shed.

I've heard the same thing about ePub (aka Open Book)... specifically, the fact that it still does not have a branding, not even so much as a universally-accepted logo.

In this world, nothing makes it big without the proper PR (ask Amazon). So maybe we need to give some thought to the rebranding of e-books, and as an aside, ePub, to get them revved up.

Thoughts, anyone?

I'll start with this: Below is what I use as an ePub logo on the SJB.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 05-08-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
This thread was recently started on branding ePub.

WDE. (or maybe it was non DRM'd ePub)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
perhaps lower case u&b ... ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, obviously I missed the ePub thread (no one ever tells me these things!). Actually, it seems to be centered on establishing DRM'd and non-DRM'd logos, and I personally think tying the logo and the lock elements together is confusing, especially if DRM becomes a non-issue. I still maintain that establishing a universal ePub (or Open Book) logo is needed before you try to create variations on it.

But the question of rebranding e-books also stands. And to be clear, I'm not just talking about an "e-book" logo... I'm talking about how e-books are presented to the public, how they are perceived, how they are named (maybe it's time to look past the word "e-book"), etc. We obviously consider e-books different, special... but are they different or special for the right reasons? The reasons that matter to the public? Are e-book advocates playing up one aspect, when they should be playing up something else?

That's what I'm getting at: E-book 2.0.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Problem is, Steve, we seem to have different publishers, authors, reader manufacturers all moving their own ways, with little central control. How one can go about reining it all in is anyone's guess....
For some, i.e. Amazon, it seems control of the market is their goal and to hell with any other.... ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Problem is, Steve, we seem to have different publishers, authors, reader manufacturers all moving their own ways, with little central control. How one can go about reining it all in is anyone's guess....
For some, i.e. Amazon, it seems control of the market is their goal and to hell with any other.... ?
I know that, practically, the idea of the MR members rebranding e-books is out of the question... this was really just an intellectual exercise.

You could say that Amazon is doing their own rebranding of "e-books" into "Kindle books." The question is: Is that the direction e-book rebranding should go? Or is there a better one?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I know that, practically, the idea of the MR members rebranding e-books is out of the question... this was really just an intellectual exercise.

You could say that Amazon is doing their own rebranding of "e-books" into "Kindle books." The question is: Is that the direction e-book rebranding should go? Or is there a better one?
I'd like to see some standarised branding from the IDPF, at least when it comes to ePub, and I'd wish that ePub becomes the defacto standard and all the rest just fade away so that ePub and ebooks are synonymous.

I actually like this one, out of all the logos I've seen so far (from Teleread, I don't know who I should give credit to in this case)

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote