Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
How Kobo Harnesses the Power of Big Data to Keep Booklovers Reading

https://medium.com/@KoboBooks/how-ko...5fe#.l2ospjhu9
Quote:
Choosing your next read can be an agonizing process. With limited time and infinite choice, readers regularly cite the difficulty of selecting the “right” book as a barrier to reading more.

To help make discovery easier, Rakuten Kobo is harnessing the power of big data on their eReading platform. With a catalog of more than 5 million books and millions of readers around the globe, Kobo is able to take voluminous amounts of data and process it into helpful recommendations.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I feel like I should tell them not to bother on my account. 50 some years of reading and I've never ONCE had a problem finding my next read....

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I feel like I should tell them not to bother on my account. 50 some years of reading and I've never ONCE had a problem finding my next read....
I'm just hoping that the recommendations will eventually start being for books I might actually want to read. I will agree finding the next read has never been an issue -- thankfully, I read fast enough that my TBR pile stays manageable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...thankfully, I read fast enough that my TBR pile stays manageable.
That's just a lame excuse for being a slow book buyer. Get some Delphi Classics (they now have a discount on supersets), and your TBR will be through the roof for less than €25.

Spoiler:

Also, no big data from me. My reader never connects to the internet after the initial setup. Wifi is off. I actually created a dummy (empty) account for setting up this reader.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-16-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I have yet to find the recommended reads helpful because it is you picked up this book so you will like that book, without knowing whether you actually liked the book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That's just a lame excuse for being a slow book buyer. Get some Delphi Classics (they now have a discount on supersets), and you're TBR will be through the roof for less than €25.

Spoiler:

Also, no big data from me. My reader never connects to the internet after the initial setup. Wifi is off. I actually created a dummy (empty) account for setting up this reader.
You sound a bit like me, LOL! My Aura HD hasn't been connected in nearly 3 years. But I do think I'll use my Aura ONE on wifi from time to time. The Overdrive feature is too nice not to. I think I'll make more use of Pocket as well.

My TBR is always through the roof. Doesn't help that I like to re-read favorite books or series from time to time....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
You sound a bit like me, LOL! My Aura HD hasn't been connected in nearly 3 years. But I do think I'll use my Aura ONE on wifi from time to time. The Overdrive feature is too nice not to. I think I'll make more use of Pocket as well.

My TBR is always through the roof. Doesn't help that I like to re-read favorite books or series from time to time....
I wrote "you're" where I should have written "your", and you quoted it so I can never ninja-fix this. That it. I can't live with the shame. Good bye, cruel world

Well... I've reread my entire paper library at least twice because of lack of space in the past. Even now, I reread everything as ebooks. I'm now in my 12th reread of LotR (on paper). So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I have yet to find the recommended reads helpful because it is you picked up this book so you will like that book, without knowing whether you actually liked the book.
Kobo is always recommending me books I've had in my library (and bought at Kobo) for several years already. "You might also like..." Yeah. Have it. Read it. Twice. Stop recommending it in your e-mails.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-16-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote