Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Getting organized!

Ok I started reading 8 years ago on a PRS505. I've since been thru 3 computers and multiple ereaders all Sony. I'm expecting my first new reader on Wednesday and and need to consolidate my books in one place. I have roughly 1000 books give or take. I use Sony software, calibre, and recently added the kobo desktop app. I want to put all my stuff in one location and use one app to manage it all. I have a Mac... Suggestions? I want to get rid of my duplicates from importing and converting over the years.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Good luck.
I would love to organize ONLY 1000 books.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 08-29-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Good luck.
I would love to organize ONLY 1000 books.
Now your just being cheeky

JJ
Old 08-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Now your just being cheeky

JJ
Would you like to see just my physical cookbook file? Not counting all the booklets.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
Would you like to see just my physical cookbook file? Not counting all the booklets.
I don't mess with women and their cookbooks...

JJ
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I don't mess with women and their cookbooks...

JJ
A quick look says 1127.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Quote:
A quick look says 1127.
I'm betting you could cook every recipe on every page and need a 100 years to finish....

JJ
Old 08-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Ok I started reading 8 years ago on a PRS505. I've since been thru 3 computers and multiple ereaders all Sony. I'm expecting my first new reader on Wednesday and and need to consolidate my books in one place. I have roughly 1000 books give or take. I use Sony software, calibre, and recently added the kobo desktop app. I want to put all my stuff in one location and use one app to manage it all. I have a Mac... Suggestions? I want to get rid of my duplicates from importing and converting over the years.

JJ
Put everything into Calibre. I've been accumulating ebooks for 20+ years now and Calibre is great for organising things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
You want everything in Calibre. I'm managing ~10,000 books and it works well if a bit slowly. It takes a bit of work to set up but makes life a lot easier integrating multiple sources of books.

Tips:

* Make sure to add the Apprentice Alf plugins so you don't run into any issues with store-only books. Otherwise your books might have trouble being imported into Calibre or sent to your device.

* You can set up auto-merge settings so that if Calibre detects you are adding a duplicate book it just merges the records. This is not foolproof - sometimes it doesn't detect identical books or it thinks a book is the same even though it's a different edition or version. But it helps a lot.

* You can add metadata in Calibre that will help organize your books on your Mac. Also, some ereaders or ereading apps recognize Calibre tags. I prefer the FBReader app.

* You can use Calibre to update book titles to indicate if they are in a series or other key facts, if your ereader doesn't recognize Calibre tags.

* When editing metadata in Calibre, you can use tag search/replace to standardize tags. EX: I got several books tagged Action, Adventure, Action/Adventure, Action & Adventure, etc. I used tag search/replace to make them all the same tag without having to update each one individually.

* If you have a favorite TV show or movie, you can find free fanfiction for it and download that into ebooks with Calibre and the FanFicFare plugin. It's a nice little extra.

Last edited by Rbneader; 08-29-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
And add your books slowly to Calibre, correctly setting the metadata for each book as you add it. It's effort that pays rewards in the longer term.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

As HarryT and rbneader both said, cataloging is not a quick process.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I came a bit late to the Calibre party, and had to add a lot of books. As Harry says, do it in pieces, making sure your metadata is just how you like it. Make sure to back up your calibre library. And use Calibre Companion on your reader. I have all 10k+ books on my reader, and am able to sort by tag, date read, date added to Calibre, etc. I am very happy (not as happy as I will be when the Cubs win the World Series, but pretty happy).

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I tend to manage tags en masse, and have found that can work just as well so long as you are careful with the mass tag search/replace. If I manage books one by one I get the tags mixed-up, and it doesn't help that so many books now come preloaded with tags that may or may not match up with my standard tags.

Calibre can accommodate a lot of different workflows. The important part is to make sure that it's something you can do regularly and keeps your library organized to a standard you feel happy with.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
First of all, organizing a library is a never ending job, unless you do not add more books. I think the best tool for joining all the books, as it has been told, is calibre. And then, prior to the start of the organization, it would be convenient to decide how you want to organize them. Not how others do, or others say it is the best, but how it is better for you. And that is not a small task either.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
First of all, organizing a library is a never ending job, unless you do not add more books. I think the best tool for joining all the books, as it has been told, is calibre. And then, prior to the start of the organization, it would be convenient to decide how you want to organize them. Not how others do, or others say it is the best, but how it is better for you. And that is not a small task either.
This about a million times.