Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I just started using TTS again on my Kindle 5th gen (the $50 Fire). I really like it. The fact that I can pause it and pick up reading again is great, as I lose interest in whatever else I was doing at the same time I was listening to my TTS.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I don't know Amy... But every time I use the TTS British Voice sounds like the speaker Spitting into the mic..... weird
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #18
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I don't know Amy... But every time I use the TTS British Voice sounds like the speaker Spitting into the mic..... weird
I've been able to adjust that most of the time by turning the volume control down within the TTS app so it sounds cleaner. Might work for you?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad I not the only one that hears it! I will give it a try on the lower volume. But Really these voices are generated by a computer...How can they make that spitting sound?
Old 03-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #20
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Glad I not the only one that hears it! I will give it a try on the lower volume. But Really these voices are generated by a computer...How can they make that spitting sound?
What are you using to listen to TTS with? Low spec hardware has a hard time with TTS. I once used it on a phone with just 500 mb ram and it choked pretty badly. You don't need high spec hardware, but if lots of apps are running in the background, etc., it may be affecting your TTS quality.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Amazon Fire Phone. It still makes the weird spitting sounds. Any lower I wont be able to heard it Any lower it be OFF I run into these problems a Lot comes from having Better than adv hearing. Why I was Happy some one else can also hear it! Thanks Conan!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #22
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had luck turning the TTS down in the app, but up on the device. Not sure if there's a difference in how different apps handle the TTS?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

No app TTS is Built in. No Volume Control.. same as the phone Ringer.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #24
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Amazon Fire Phone. It still makes the weird spitting sounds. Any lower I wont be able to heard it Any lower it be OFF I run into these problems a Lot comes from having Better than adv hearing. Why I was Happy some one else can also hear it! Thanks Conan!
That's too bad. The Fire phone should be good hardware. I have a weird sound issue from a Fire TV Stick on my living room TV. Everything else works great on the TV, Rokus, Chromecast, but the Fire TV Stick adds noise to the sound, popping and crackling. I've seen others complain about it online. While not directly related, you have to wonder what Amazon did with the sound that no one else did to have the issue.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #25
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Maybe this is why they discontinued the phone... When I had the 1st Fire 7 HD it had Fantastic Sound. Now I just got the Fire 10" Tablet I cant even find Voice choices on it! Like Amazon is riding on their coat tails! Or Good Name! Seems the more they try to improve these Tablets & ereaders they Worse they get!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #26
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Maybe this is why they discontinued the phone... When I had the 1st Fire 7 HD it had Fantastic Sound. Now I just got the Fire 10" Tablet I cant even find Voice choices on it! Like Amazon is riding on their coat tails! Or Good Name! Seems the more they try to improve these Tablets & ereaders they Worse they get!
Speakers on tablets tend to be tinny and horrible. I try to use an external Bluetooth speaker when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
When I first tried Ivona on my Android phone I was amazed how good it was compared to the previous time I had used TTS (some years ago). Still, I can't ever see TTS achieving the same types of inflections, voices etc as some of the readers of Audiobooks! .
When it comes to computers, don't say never

Anyway, it isn't necessarily bad thing that TTS does not perform like a person. A human reader invariably brings a little bit of their personality and puts their own interpretation to the text . TTS, on the other hand, is neutral and unvaried. That may work better in some instances.

For things like poetry, you want the human performance. For example, listen to Alan Rickman read My Mistress' Eyes are Nothing Like the Sun (you can find it on Spotify). Marvelous.

Not too sound ghoulish, but I can see some company licensing a celebrity's voice for computerized speech in the future, the way images of past celebs can currently be digitized, manipulated, and used in commercials and films, etc.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #27
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Me! I use Ivona's Kendra with an Android device with headphones, but if no one is in the house and I'm in one spot I'll use the Echo.
I didn't know that Echo does text-to-speech! I will have to try it. Yes, I use it as well because my vision is poor. I reserve it for books I can't get audiobooks for, but it's been great. It was the one primary reason for keeping the Fire HDX when it proved a bit heavy for reading books. The text-to-speech was great!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #28
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

How does a Speaking Only device do TTS? I understand Audibles, So How does it Read a Book to you?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #29
copyrite
Wizard

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201976490

Back to Things to Try
Read Kindle books

With Kindle Books by Alexa, you can ask Alexa to read Kindle books in your library. Alexa reads books purchased from the Kindle Store, borrowed from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library or Kindle Unlimited, or shared with you using Family Library. Alexa reads your Kindle books with the same text-to-speech technology used for Wikipedia articles, news articles, and calendar events.

Alexa, read "[Kindle book title]."

Alexa, read my Kindle book.

Alexa, pause.

Alexa, resume my book.

Alexa, go forward / back.

Remember not all titles have TTS enabled.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #30
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
For the life of me I can't figure out how to see what voice my Fire6 has or how to change the voice. I been looking all over the place, can't find nothing. Its a female and she sounds british. But I have no clue where it came from or who it is or anything. Can someone tell me where those settings are please?

I have the same issue on my phone, which is a android. I use the kindle app as I have kindle books pretty much exclusively. But I don't think my android has text to speech in the kindle app so its a moot point there.

Last edited by Atunah; 03-01-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote