Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I don't like downloading. The two things I would like most are page turn buttons and enough memory to hold all my large library and a file management system that makes it easy to organize and find my books (I want to be able to organize my books so they show in the order I choose like my physical bookshelf). At a minimum search by author, title, genre and tag then be able to select my search result and open that book.
Calibre Companion on a device such as the Boyue T62 or Oynx T68 will do precisely that. Both devices fully meet your specification.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, I have been hesitant to buy any of them, as they are all sold in Europe, as I understand. Perhaps I should give the Icarus another look.
All these devices have to be bought online, so it doesn't really matter where the store is based. You're very unlikely to find a device of that nature in a physical store, no matter what country you live in.
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

With this type of device, the issues that arise are generally with the firmware, rather than the hardware. The question that should be asked is whether GoodEReader have the ability to develop - and more importantly to maintain - decent firmware for such a device. The hardware is essentially "off the shelf" from Netronix.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #49
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All these devices have to be bought online, so it doesn't really matter where the store is based. You're very unlikely to find a device of that nature in a physical store, no matter what country you live in.
Shipping and import taxes and the cost of returns in the event of device failure present an effective barrier to the majority of consumers.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #50
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW I don't think it will happen, and if it does, I don't really see the point. Other devices already exist that do the same things. The one thing the device has going for it is that the vendor is based in North America. Could he sell direct from the USA? I believe he is based in Canada. Many US buyers balk at even buying a Kobo mail-order from Canada!
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #51
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, I have been hesitant to buy any of them, as they are all sold in Europe, as I understand. Perhaps I should give the Icarus another look.
My thoughts when reading the crowd funding page was....how is this any different to the Icarus reader? Short of the high-res screen the Icarus seems similar spec, with the addition of page turn buttons (for those who like it).

I don't know how they will go with battery life at all on it. Being android-based you either take a vanilla version and go with that, or you spend big and butcher it down to the bare essentials for what is needed. Alternatively take the work of others who have android running on an e-ink reader and change the splash screens.

I say goodluck to them, be interesting to see what comes of it. Just please GOODEREADER, if you are going to compare two different ereaders, then (other than comics) compare them with the same ebook - this is what people mainly use them for.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Shipping and import taxes and the cost of returns in the event of device failure present an effective barrier to the majority of consumers.
How much would you, in Canada, have to pay in import taxes on a $200 device bought from a site in Europe?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I don't know how they will go with battery life at all on it. Being android-based you either take a vanilla version and go with that, or you spend big and butcher it down to the bare essentials for what is needed. Alternatively take the work of others who have android running on an e-ink reader and change the splash screens.
My experience of battery life on an eInk Android device (the Onyx Lynx T68) is that, as one would expect, it was somewhere midway between that of an LCD Android tablet and a dedicated eInk reader. I probably need to recharge my Nexus Android tablet every two days with moderate use, and I recharge my Kindle Voyage about once every two weeks. The T68 lasted somewhere about 4-5 days on a battery charge.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #54
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
My experience of battery life on an eInk Android device (the Onyx Lynx T68) is that, as one would expect, it was somewhere midway between that of an LCD Android tablet and a dedicated eInk reader. I probably need to recharge my Nexus Android tablet every two days with moderate use, and I recharge my Kindle Voyage about once every two weeks. The T68 lasted somewhere about 4-5 days on a battery charge.
Out of curiosity how do android e-ink devices run with side-loaded apps eg: moon+reader? Those kinds of apps wouldn't be developed with e-ink and battery optimisation in mind.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #55
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
How much would you, in Canada, have to pay in import taxes on a $200 device bought from a site in Europe?
Around 13-15%, but it is shipping and the potential cost / hassle of return that are the bigger cost and worry.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #56
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Out of curiosity how do android e-ink devices run with side-loaded apps eg: moon+reader? Those kinds of apps wouldn't be developed with e-ink and battery optimisation in mind.
It varies from device to device, but generally they run okay. It can help to search out earlier versions.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Around 13-15%, but it is shipping and the potential cost / hassle of return that are the bigger cost and worry.
A fair point, but such devices are always going to be speciality items and, as such, only be available online. Anyone in the market for such a device is going to be aware of that.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It varies from device to device, but generally they run okay. It can help to search out earlier versions.
Moon+ works pretty well on eInk devices. Some of the config menus are not easy to use (they display as "white on white"), but the actual reading experience is very good.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #59
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I wasn't aware that anyone was actually manufacturing screens with plastic substrates. Where would they get one from?
Wexler Flex One.
Wexler is an OEM supplier of computer related stuff from Russia. They manufactured a reader a few years ago.
I do not know what happened - it disappeared the after they hit the market.
One on-line store that specializes in e-ink readers in neighboring country even had a few demo units and then ... Nothing. They refused to tell me (even privately) what happened.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Wexler Flex One.
Wexler is an OEM supplier of computer related stuff from Russia. They manufactured a reader a few years ago.
I do not know what happened - it disappeared the after they hit the market.
Yes, I know about that device, but, to the best of my knowledge, screens with a plastic substrate aren't currently available, hence no device can use one.

Tags
goodereader bad