Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
b631nz
b631nz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Unhappy PW2 "Your Kindle Needs Repairing"

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance.

-Purchased a Kindle Paperwhite 2 several days ago. Out of the box it was running 5.4.2.
-Jailbroke it using the method shown here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645.
-Installed NiLuJe's screensaver mod shown here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
-Installed a few of my own screensaver png images (8 bit grayscale images 1024x758 and it worked fine for 24-hours. I was using "random" mode, haven't used the cover or overlay modes and I haven't installed python either.
-Now after a further reboot the device seems somewhat bricked.

During booting it has the normal landscape/tree scene with the progress bar at the bottom. The "checking screensavers" message appears briefly. The progress bar gets nearly to the end, then a screen shows up saying "Your Kindle Needs Repairing, Contact kindle etc etc, Repair Code:3, Version 2155730032." My original home screen briefly flashes up showing my books with their cover images but then it returns to the repair screen and the light turns off.

Device is fully charged. When plugging it into USB it is able to connect as mass storage device and I can quickly explore the device. Once it settles on the repair screen, USB access is lost.

Is there the possibility that it has done an over the air update to the new 5.4.2.1? Otherwise I cannot think why it should be bricked. Would faulty screensaver images cause this? Is there anything I can do to fix my Paperwhite or is it destined to be a Paperweight?

Last edited by b631nz; 01-22-2014 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Update
b631nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Extremely unlikely that it's anything to do with 5.4.2.1; I very much doubt that it's being "broadcast" yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
b631nz

You're probably correct. But this user seems to believe that it automatically downloads. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=1. I agree though, it seems unlikely that: 1) it has updated already, and 2) that it is responsible for my brick.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It will automatically download eventually, but over the next few months. I've never heard of anyone getting an upgrade over the air the instant a new firmware version is released. Amazon (very wisely) seem to leave it to be manually installed first and see if any problems arise as a result.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@b631nz: See of removing the linkss/auto file helps in the short window of time you have, but I doubt this has something to do with the SS hack.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
b631nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@b631nz: See of removing the linkss/auto file helps in the short window of time you have, but I doubt this has something to do with the SS hack.
Thanks niluje. I'll give this a go tonight.

Update: deleting the auto file didn't help. It stops the "updating screensaver" text from showing during boot but it still says it needs repair once boot is complete. I realise it's unlikely to be the cause of my problem, but is there a way to remove the ss hack completely, just with usb access? Or is the working part of the hack stored on the system partition? Guess I may have to take it back to amazon, and I'd rather make the process simpler by not having any mods. Is it possible to unjailbreak with usb access too?

Thanks

Last edited by b631nz; 01-23-2014 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Update