Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
MarleneW
MarleneW began at the beginning.

Device: All
CSS classes on Android epub readers

I'm trying to colour headings in my epub, but on every Android reader I have installed on my Galaxy 7.7, the class settings are ignored. I can colour using span tags, or back grounds in tables but nothing else at all. As I am new to CSS is there something I am doing wrong? It looks fine in Sigil....
I'm making the pages in Dreamweaver....
MarleneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneW View Post
I'm trying to colour headings in my epub, but on every Android reader I have installed on my Galaxy 7.7, the class settings are ignored. I can colour using span tags, or back grounds in tables but nothing else at all. As I am new to CSS is there something I am doing wrong? It looks fine in Sigil....
Try your question on the Sigil forum. They have knowledgeable CSS folks over there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
This appears to be a device limitation (ADE based devices has them also ) that you will need to find a work-around.
You said Colored Spans work?
Does a construct like
<h3 class="my1"><span class="my2">Text</span></h3>
work for color?
.my1 {display: block; text-align: center;}
.my2 {color: red;}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
Try your question on the Sigil forum. They have knowledgeable CSS folks over there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=203

Regards - John
It's not a Sigil question. This is the right place for the question.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
MarleneW

The problem was me - I have made some progress by starting my CSS again - now getting some colour in text and table backgrounds using classes but finding it frustrating that apps read the code differently. EG FB reader does not show my sans serif font (or any sans serif font) and the others do, a link to another page attached to a graphic sometimes works and sometimes does not, and in IBooks display=inline block is ignored. Even photos are split across screens. My client is reluctant to specify a platform so I guess they will have to live with the differences in appearance between reader apps. (We are looking at Androids or Ipods mostly - Nooks and Kindle Fire are not available here)

Can anyone suggest how to hide a number of pages (chapter) from appearing in the TOC or navigation options? I have tried setting the spine settings to linear = NO whereupon other pages are not available.

Also cannot get anchors to work reliably in anything (Mantano, FB Reader, Galaxy Ebook, Ibooks)...
Advert
Old 05-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Fonts, unless they are embedded in the ebook, could or could not work in any reader, it depends on what they have predefined. "inline block" is not an officially supported value for ePub 2.

To hide things from the TOC, just remove them from the TOC. The TOC should be an NCX file which you can edit.

What doesn't work with anchors? I've never had a problem with them (except with pictures as links).
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Even photos are split across screens.
You could try to use this css property on a div containing the image:

page-break-inside:avoid !important;

Quote:
Can anyone suggest how to hide a number of pages (chapter) from appearing in the TOC or navigation options? I have tried setting the spine settings to linear = NO whereupon other pages are not available.
The best way to not have a chapter in the toc is probably to not put it there in the first place. Simply remove the navpoint that discribes that chapter and update the playOrder for the rest of the chapters.

"Hidden" chapters I usually move to the end of the book, and make links to move between the chapters. The linear-property is the correct way of hiding stuff inside your book, bot the property is not honoured by the rendering machines

Last edited by Iznogood; 05-05-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
MarleneW

Thank you for your comments - working on it

Tags
android, css, epub