Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
rhoobarb
rhoobarb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello everyone, hope you can help - which ereader?

Hello - I'm hoping for some advice. I want to buy an ereader but it needs to have certain specifications as I have trouble with my vision.

I have already been using dslibris on the ds(I've been using it as it does the white text on a black background - anything else seems to 'burn' my eyes after a while) but you can only stick three books on it at a time and the memory is limited.

So, what I am looking for is an ereader that does:

1) Night-time view mode(black background and white text). This is really important.

2) I don't need wi-fi (though if it's there - can I disable it?).

3) I'd like a reader that will just let you copy the files over in windows as most of the stuff I read is the classics(think - project guttenburg etc. - don't know if i spelt that one right by the way)

4) Memory - I like reading some books more than once. So I would like it to have upgradeable memory via sdhc card or something like it. I have favourite books that I would like to keep on the ereader without worrying about memory.

5) If it had an easy accessible dictionary then that would be a bonus.

6) A normal tablet with lots of homebrew support (I know this could be an option as I've already been using homebrew for reading).

THE most important thing is that I can set the background to black.

Thanks in advance for any help

I'm in the UK by the way, so unlucky for me it might limit my options

Thanks again

Jackie
rhoobarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't know of any e-Ink reader that let's you set the background to black with white letters out of the box. But I suspect the Sony PRS T1 and the Nook Touch (probably not an option in the UK ) could, once they are rooted. Both run on Android and most Android reading apps have a night mode.

But I'm not sure you even need a night mode on an e-ink device. Do you have problems reading normal paper books as well? Because e-ink is a pretty similar experience to paper, just with greyer background. Tose screens aren't backlit like that of your (Nintendo?) DS .
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
I concur. This is a rather unusual thing and if this is really a must-have, you may better look for a low-cost simple Tablet with an app that allows you to do this.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Jackie, have you ever had the possibility to read on an eink reader? Or do you have the possibility to try one in a shop?

The reason I am asking is that maybe you don't need the "white letters on a black background"-feature. There are quite a lot of people with eyesight troubles that have big problems reading on lcd screens and no problems reading on eink screens. But I don't wanna influence you in any way - you know best what's best for your eyes!

And welcome to MobileRead!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote