Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Stodder
Connoisseur
Stodder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Anyone used the US Online Copyright Registration portal?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone registered their work online with the US Copyright Office's eCO system?

I'm interested in doing it, and would love to hear others experiences and ask questions if possible For example, whether if you registered an unpublished work... would you have to register the published version later too, etc.

To clear the air, I am aware that copyright is afforded to a person the minute they create something original. However, I want to ensure that I have the option of filing an infringement claim--in case someone ever takes advantage of me--and from what I understand, infringement claims require copyright registration and not just copyright. Am I correct?

Hope there's peeps here who have done this

I'm really green in this area!

Stodder
Stodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stodder View Post
Hope there's peeps here who have done this
You might find the peeps you're looking for here.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Stodder
Connoisseur

Lol
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've used the eCO system. It's relatively easy to use, saves a lot of time, and if your doc is a digital file, uploading beats stuffing pages into a think envelope and a few dollars' postage.

I've only used it for new and original works, myself. I've never gone back and republished them, say, as a print work... but unless the body of the work was changed, you don't have to re-register a new format.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Stodder
Connoisseur

Hi Steven Lyle Jordan,

Thanks for replying!

Can I still register an unpublished work if there's a chance my work will be published before I even recieve the registration certificate? I'm close to releasing my ebook, but would rather get this out of the way right now. As opposed to waiting for the ebook (and perhaps the printed physical edition) to come out and then registering it as a published work.

I appreciate you writing about your experience.

Stodder
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you register with eCO, the moment you are done (and have paid), essentially you're registered right then and there. The registration paperwork will come in the mail weeks later, but you can publish the book without waiting for that.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did it a couple of times recently, and was given to understand that if you copyright AFTER publishing, you have to go the more expensive and much slower snail-mail route. I'm not sure about that, but if you're going through the process anyway, I'd sure try to get it done before publishing.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Stodder
Connoisseur

Thanks for the additional replies.

I did it a few days ago, but I think I bunged it up.

I forgot to enter "NO" for "Is this author's contributiona work made for hire?" and the system did not prompt me to fill it in. Now I'm worried I've made a mess of it. All my other entries i put "NO" for that question as I'm the sole claimant/author/owner.

Edit: I don't even know whether people are supposed to fill this question in or not. Am I supposed to fill it in?

Last edited by Stodder; 05-07-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they got your money you should be good to go. But don't sweat if the actual certificate takes a while. I just looked at mine still in its original envelope. Effective date of registration on the certificate: May 31 2010 - postage stamp on the envelope: Dec 29 2010.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Stodder
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
If they got your money you should be good to go. But don't sweat if the actual certificate takes a while. I just looked at mine still in its original envelope. Effective date of registration on the certificate: May 31 2010 - postage stamp on the envelope: Dec 29 2010.
Yeah, maybe I should just chill