Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
Question question on DRM

My son and I took care of the DRM aspect. My computer died, new one bought and a lot of important info was transfered to new computer. What I transfered was pictures, word docs, Calibre and a couple of other things. Left the rest of "stuff" on the old computer.

What I am wondering, the changes for the DRM, since I didn't transferr everything to new computer, would the work that Alf did have remained on my old computer and require me to redo the work to take care of the DRM? Or was it added to Calibre and transfered with it?

Another question, I had ADE on old computer, and don't think it was transfered to new one. Do I need to re-download it? I am going to be stuck buying some DRM books to keep up with series. So, I will need it I am assuming.
Hate buying DRM, but I want those books, I enjoy the series and am having to switch to ebooks due to eyesight, print is getting too hard to read. Which means I will have to buy the earlier books to keep the whole series and be able to re-read the books

Thanks for the help
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You will need ADE but all you need to maintain continuity are the password and user ID that you used...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
You will need to download and reinstall ADE, give it your adobe ID, authorize ADE on the new computer. If you had stuff to remove DRM, you'll have to redo that as well, and you'll not find assistance with that here due to rules. Not allowed to discuss DRM removal, due to legal issues.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A DRM-free ebook is DRM-free forever. So if you stripped DRM on import to Calibre, those ebooks are still DRM-free. You can check this by viewing them in Calibre (a DRM-ridden ebook won't open for reading).

You may need to re-install the DRM-stripping plugins for new purchases, depending on how you copied over Calibre. You will also need to install desktop ADE and authorize it to your old AdobeID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Janette55
Connoisseur
Janette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it isJanette55 knows what time it is

Device: Sony 900
Thanks everyone.

Hellmark, I know that I can't ask that here, I already know how to take care of the DRM, I was figuring that when I transfered from old compuer to new that part of it might not have transfered as the ADE program didn't. I already know how to take care of the DRM, someone outside of MR told me where I could find info on that, so MR didn't have any part in that area.

I realized that the books that are DRM free will remain free, I understand that I don't need to strip the DRM for them. It is the books that I will have to buy to continue some of the series that I read which will have DRM. That will have to be taken care of. That I know how to do.

What I wasn't sure off was, would I need to redo the ADE or not. And if the info that I had obtained elsewhere on DRM would transfer over. I'm not asking how to remove it, just did I lose any programs when I moved from old computer to new one.

So, I need to redo the ADE to get the books I want that are DRM'd. And take care of the DRM problem, that I learned about elsewhere, NOT here. Got it, will download the ADE whenever I have to buy some DRM'd books.

Last edited by Janette55; 04-04-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Janette55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
If you were using Calibre in the old PC, and have copied that across, then the program itself will give the same functionality.
(I am assuming the DRM was taken care of by the plugin)....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote