Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
guterm
guterm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Debugging intermittent failures, how to?

Dear all,

I am trying to debug intermittent failures with download and conversion of Globe&Mail articles. About ~5% or so of articles end up with missing text and I am at loss to understand a root cause. I cannot reproduce the problem with --test, yet on a full paper download I always end up with a couple of empty articles.

Is there a way/setting/option to download and preserve all source unprocessed html files when using a class derived from BasicNewsRecipe and then just to rerun processing on pre-downloaded files? This would hopefully allow me to understand if it's a download or processing issue and ease the debugging.

Thanks guys!

/guterm
guterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
--debug-pipeline
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
guterm

Thank you! Managed to progress further.
The failing articles in the "input" directory are already empty. For each failing article I see the following error message:
Code:
Parsing feed_4/article_0/index.html ...
Initial parse failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\base.py", line 857, in first_pass
  File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 2532, in lxml.etree.fromstring (src/lxml/lxml.etre
e.c:48634)
  File "parser.pxi", line 1545, in lxml.etree._parseMemoryDocument (src/lxml/lxm
l.etree.c:72245)
  File "parser.pxi", line 1417, in lxml.etree._parseDoc (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:7
1041)
  File "parser.pxi", line 898, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseUnicodeDoc (src/l
xml/lxml.etree.c:67581)
  File "parser.pxi", line 539, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDo
c (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:64257)
  File "parser.pxi", line 625, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src/lxml/lxml.e
tree.c:65178)
  File "parser.pxi", line 565, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src/lxml/lxml.etr
ee.c:64521)
XMLSyntaxError: xmlParseEntityRef: no name, line 4, column 17
Have you seen anything like this? I am running the latest version of calibre.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If they are empty in the input directory then the recipe is downloading them empty. That usually means your remove_Tags and similar settings are too aggressive.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
guterm

Thank you, let me play with that.

Is there a way to preserve the EXACT html that got downloaded?
I already confirmed that globe&mail actively varies output/structure of the same article from one download to another, would be good to find the exact problem.

/guterm
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use the preprocess_html function and save the html to a file
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
guterm

Thank you, that's most helpful, the server was switching div classes back and forth.

Somewhat related question, is there a way to completely delete an article after looking at it's content? E.g., I parse an article and I am finding that it's nothing but a slideshow or a video, is there a way to remove it from the feed index without corrupting processing?

Unfortunately I cannot determine that based on urls, as I see some other scripts are doing.

Thanks again!

/guterm
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just return None from preprocess_html
Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
guterm

Fantastic, I just posted updated Globe recipe, it may make sense to update the built-in one. Do you want me to submit as attachment to that bug?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

either a bug or a message in this forum saying the recipe is ready to be updated.