Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Ebooks in simplified Mandarin

I'd like to test my Iriver with an ebook (epub) in simplified Chinese (Mandarin) and I wonder if one of the MR readers can suggest one, preferably free, as I can't yet read Mandarin - just planning ahead! - or maybe even send me one. Anything will do, even a children's book.

At this stage I'm just checking to see whether the Iriver will handle the characters.

TIA for any help.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blimey! 88 people have looked at this post and none of them could help. That's a surprise in a cosmopolitan site like this one!
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I have Chinese (Traditional and Simplified) ebooks in PDF format only because I didn't want the hassle of embedding fonts, but let me check and get back to you.

And don't get too upset, most Chinese speakers use Chinese websites, so there won't be too many takers here, though I know a few members like me who can read Chinese.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru

Thanks Hans.

I just googled and guess where I ended up: here in my own post! MR is in google.

I've found a number of books, but all are in pdf, and pdf can be a pain to read on an ereader. Still, I suppose I could push it through Calibre and see what came out.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Thanks Hans.

I just googled and guess where I ended up: here in my own post! MR is in google.

I've found a number of books, but all are in pdf, and pdf can be a pain to read on an ereader. Still, I suppose I could push it through Calibre and see what came out.
Forget PDF to epub conversion with Calibre. It seems nothing can make a good automated conversion from PDF to other (text reflow) formats. No matter how bad using the PDF is on your reader, you will love it compared to the results you get from a Calibre PDF to Epub conversion. Calibre is a great program, but PDF conversion really doesn't work properly.

You have a better shot resizing the PDF from its original size to your reader's screen size and eliminating borders. On the Irex's 8.1" screen PDF's actually work quite well and you can zoom in. The extra screen real estate and the zoom make all the difference in the world compared to the 6" Sony without zoom. You can also try the original PDF in landscape 1/2 page mode.

The great advantage with PDF is that you can display any character set.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert