Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
What stores' ebooks work on what ereaders?

My apologies if this is covered somewhere, but I'm having the devil of a time trying to find out what stores' ebooks (epub format) can be read unmodified on which readers.

If someone can point me to a thread or a chart somewhere, I'd be very grateful!

Even if the list was limited to the major suppliers and major readers, that would be helpful.

Again, this is without stripping DRM.

Many thanks, and again, apologies if this has been covered!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think the only issue is Barnes & Noble epub, which uses a different DRM scheme and only works on the Nook. Other than that, I think they all work on any Adept-Capable system. I have used a Libre, a Kobo and a Sony (successfully) with books from Fictionwise (multiformat, epub), Smashwords, Sony, Kobo and Baen.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
What about iBook epubs? Don't they have Apple DRM?
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Hi, I think this is it..

Since you specified ePub, we will ignore Amazon. All of these answers apply to DRM'd versions. non-DRM should work on any device that supports ePub.

1. Apple ePub: Ipod Touch, Iphone and IPad.
2. Barnes and Noble ePub: Nook, Jetbook, Jetbook-Lite and I believe the Pandigital line of eReaders as well as on B&N software for Android, iOS, Blackberry, etc.
3. Adobe Digital Editions ePub: Pretty much all other readers plus the readers that support Barnes and Noble ePub.

If we removed Apple from the equation, the relationship between B&N and Adobe would be kind of like the relationship between AB blood and O blood. B&N enabled readers can read the most DRM'd formats, while Adobe eBooks can be read on the most readers .

Hope that helps.

Oh Right, one last detail I forgot. Pretty much every store outside of Apple, Amazon and B&N supports Adobe Digital Editions if they sell DRM'd books at all (Not counting obvious exceptions like stores specializing in mobi or even .lit.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Whatever the answer is, I think that it should be stickied!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert