Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, that looks suspiciously identical to the TC used on the K5 .

Meaning that's eglibc 2.12(.1) .

With the same CPU, so, yeah, that's nice, means a single binary for the whole K4/K5/KPW range .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FWIW, that looks suspiciously identical to the TC used on the K5 .

Meaning that's eglibc 2.12(.1) .

With the same CPU, so, yeah, that's nice, means a single binary for the whole K4/K5/KPW range .
Nice translation.

What follows is my translation as requested by ixtab:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This one is a bit easier to deal with than the older Kindles:
The (cross-) compiled, native executables in the Kindle version 5.2.0 firmware shipped first on the Kindle paperwhite device in October, 2012 shows build dates of September, 2012.

For the best chance of re-using the existing libraries and code already installed on the machine, the recommended practice is to use the same or a very similar tool-chain, library set, and compile time option set.

Examination of the binaries with recent build dates discovers the following about the tool-chain in use by the vendor:

(cross-) compiler:
Code:
000618 GCC: (Linaro GCC 4.5-2011.05-0) 4.5.4 20110505 (prerelease)
000654 GCC: (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.4.4-14ubuntu1) 4.4.5 20100909 (prerelease)
Which is typical of the versions being shipped with Ubuntu/Oneiric (11.10).
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ic&section=all

The tool-chain in use pre-dates those of the Ubuntu Linaro project:
https://launchpad.net/linaro-toolchain-binaries/trunk
The tool-chain in use pre-dates the entire Linaro project.
View the above link for reference while reading the following comments.

The recommendation for doing "compatible work" is a choice of two courses:

Use the most recent Linaro tool-chain prior to the shift to armelhf as the standard:
https://launchpad.net/linaro-toolcha...estone/2012.04
Or
Re-build an armel tool-chain from the least buggy, recent, tool-chain:
https://launchpad.net/linaro-toolcha...estone/2012.09
By selecting the crosstool-ng bundle on that page and making the configuration changes required to select the tool-chain and libc default options that best match that of the vendor's tool-chain setup.
This second choice, even using the automated tool-chain builder, one that only those with experience in building system tool-chains and libraries should attempt.

System libraries:
Code:
core2quad lib $ file libc-2.12.1.so
libc-2.12.1.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.16, stripped
A less than recent libc, using kernel header ABI of 2.6.16.

Although not the more recent libc that is shipping with Ubuntu/Oneiric (11.10):
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ic&section=all
In fact, ARM cross-support even in Ubuntu/Natty (11.04) is not that old:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/na...toolchain-base

As can be seen from the above link (which lists version details of the dependencies), probably the best recommendation that can be made here is to use the second choice above (crosstool-ng) and set its configuration to download and build the older, 2.6.12 system library set.
Be certain to also set the kernel headers selection to 2.6.16 (the prior "build ABI standard") in the crosstool-ng configuration for the system libraries.

Note: The same comments above apply to using Buildroot (which can use crosstool-ng for its tool-chain building).

As to other compiler options, hints here:
Code:
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
  Tag_CPU_name: "7-A"
  Tag_CPU_arch: v7
  Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
  Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
  Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
  Tag_FP_arch: VFPv3
  Tag_Advanced_SIMD_arch: NEONv1
  Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
  Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
  Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
  Tag_ABI_align_needed: 8-byte
  Tag_ABI_align_preserved: 8-byte, except leaf SP
  Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
  Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
  Tag_DIV_use: Not allowed
  Tag_Virtualization_use: TrustZone
Ensuring that the above options are the defaults when building a "vendor compatible" tool-chain as described above is also a "good idea" (tm)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
That should be referenced somewhere.

thanks mate
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

thanks mate
It belongs on a development oriented web-site, and will someday probably end up there.
It is just that ixtab wanted a translation here.

I suppose I could add a: B00F entry in the Kindle Knowledge structure that links back to this thread and relevant posts.

Hmm...
I did not do the same research with the gcj (or whatever Java gets compiled with) on the Kindle.

So perhaps ixtab will return the favor and list the Java related dependences and recommendations in this thread also.

I didn't check if they are using a newer version of Awesome and GTK - I'll leave that to yourself - you are familar with what was in use on the K4/K5
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Thanks for reassuring me. I think that knc1 and twobob are using some encryption method that can't be cracked by mere mortals.

Even us Americans have to puzzle out what twobob is saying half the time! His idioms do not even translate well to American English, let alone his deadly abuse of English grammer and spelling.

His last post shows that he can clean up his act. I wonder what his stuff looks like after running it through machine translation.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Even us Americans have to puzzle out what twobob is saying half the time! His idioms do not even translate well to American English.
Isn't a trivial JBpatch entry called a: JBtweak?

Maybe that relationship did not translate well earlier this week.

But I will keep my flame suit handy, just in case I am wrong (again).
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
... I suppose I could add a: B00F entry in the Kindle Knowledge structure that links back to this thread and relevant posts.
B00F is K5 3G. Did you mean B024 (Paperwhite)?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
B00F is K5 3G. Did you mean B024 (Paperwhite)?
Yes, that is what I meant.

I am going to work on the DX(g) de-brick research first, before adding things to my own site.

twobob is an "editor" - he could add the structure entries for B024, hardware and firmware.
Any member can edit the page contents, it is only changing the structure itself (not its content) that requires "editor" permission.

If you spot "missing" branches and leaves where you would want to put things in:
http://minimodding.com/Kindle%2BHowTo

Just PM twobob or myself (on either site) and we can "tweak" (not JBtweak) the structure for you.

Note: The "old style" model designators (shown under image creation) will be changed to the "first four" of the serial number (some day, rsn).
Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post

thanks mate
It is now -
http://minimodding.com/Tools&structu...page_ref_id=33

I got the Admin guy out of bed to make that update.

When (if ever) I get caught up here, I will add more than a one-line Wiki page about it.

PS: Thanks for the new articles.
Articles are working well, the only problem is with FreeTags on forum posts. Freetags work just fine for Articles and everything else except forum posts.

Last edited by knc1; 10-05-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Ah sweet. Looks tidy via VNC on the 3
also looks good direct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: kindle.fb.pgm_093.png
Views:	195
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	93480  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote