Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Sue Castaneda
Sue Castaneda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Is there an App to read Kindle on a Nook

My sons bought me a Nook Color and I love it, but I have a friend who has written some Kindle e-books that I want to read. Is there some kind of app to convert Kindle books to Nook format - or buy Kindle books on a Nook? (I ask this question without much hope.)
Sue Castaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Castaneda View Post
My sons bought me a Nook Color and I love it, but I have a friend who has written some Kindle e-books that I want to read. Is there some kind of app to convert Kindle books to Nook format - or buy Kindle books on a Nook? (I ask this question without much hope.)
There are several ways to do this with the Nook Color. I won't go into the tricks to remove DRM because it's illegal to do that in the US. However, you can turn your Nook Color into an android tablet and load the Kindle and Nook apps on it so you can read books from either store. Rooting a NC by hand is too complicated for me but some on the Nook forum could direct you to the sources. Me, I bought an n2a card for $35. There are more expensive ones that are identical except they come on larger 16GB and 32GB cards.

There are complete instructions on how to install and use it but basically you shut the Nook off, put the n2a card in the SD card slot, and turn the Nook back on. When it restarts it gives you the choice to start your Nook in the Barnes and Noble build or in the android build.

The card comes with apps for both the Nook and the Kindle. Instructions for installing apps on an android tablet are on the n2a site but it isn't hard since the apps are already on the SD card when you get it. Instructions on how to register a Kindle android app are available on the Amazon site. You can buy books from either vendor and side-load ePub books to the Nook app from other sites like eBooks.com and Kobo.

The nice thing about n2a SD cards is that you can shut off the Nook, take the n2a card out and restart it without making any changes at all in your Nook Color. In fact, no one will know you used it as an android tablet unless you tell them.

You can buy an n2a card from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/N2A-TM-Android...5219245&sr=8-2

or directly from the guys that make them:

http://n2acards.com/
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Wow. What a great response, 6charlong!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If your friend is willing to give you a copy, you could as him/her to convert whatever format they have the book in to .mobi so you can put it on your Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Did your friend happen to self-publish the Kindle books without using an DRM? If so, can simply use a program called calibre to convert the books to EPUB, as well as copy them over to your Nook Color:

http://calibre-ebook.com/
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I won't go into the tricks to remove DRM because it's illegal to do that in the US.
To date the US courts have ruled that removal of DRM is NOT illegal, it is considered to be fair use under copyright law. Breaching the copyright is illegal, but removing DRM for personal use is allowed.

http://arstechnica.com/software/news...e-is-legal.ars
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Hugomarink
Hugomarink began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK Color
I just ordered the Nook2Android 16MB card on Amazon. I am very excited about this because I want to read digital comics and graphic novels on my NOOK. It was only after I received the NOOK Color as a gift that I realized it is not currently compatible with the Comixology app, which is the leading provider of digital comic books out there. Now, with the n2a card I can load Comixology on my NOOK Color and enjoy pretty much every digital comic that is available.

It's kind of sad though that I had to go through this, and spend an additional $50, to get the content I want on my NOOK Color. B&N really needs to do whatever it takes to get the Comixology app on their system so they can compete with Amazon in this area.
Hugomarink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
To date the US courts have ruled that removal of DRM is NOT illegal, it is considered to be fair use under copyright law. Breaching the copyright is illegal, but removing DRM for personal use is allowed.

http://arstechnica.com/software/news...e-is-legal.ars
If removing DRM is legal now, why is it still a verboten topic on MobileRead?
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
If removing DRM is legal now, why is it still a verboten topic on MobileRead?
I avoided responding to this assertion because I didn't want to hijacked the threat. The topic has been almost continually discussed on Mobileread.

The consensus is that the only exception in the United States allows DRM to be removed for the blind so that Text to Speech will work provided there's no audio book version of that book available and the blind person bought the book. This one exception was made for compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

There have always been liberal interpretations of the copyright but the courts seem to hold that the issue must be settled through legislation. So far the only thing Congress has done is extend the term of the copyright.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Mobile Reads is read by people across the globe. There are different laws dealing with DRM across the globe so it is best to play on the safe side and not discuss the specifics of how to remove DRM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle to nook color