Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
calibre not detecting Kindle for Android?

I run Kindle for Android on a tablet. I also have a Kindle DX. I have a large collection of books that aren't Amazon sourced. I decided to create a second library in Calibre and to send them to the tablet.

However, for some reason Calibre installed them in the library for the built in reader, not Kindle for Android.

How can I get Calibre to format in mobi and to send to the Kindle app's library instead of the other one?

Thanks.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre will only recognize that it is an Android tablet - not what reader software you are using.

You will probably want to use the option to Customize the Android driver in the Calibre preferences. You would want to make sure that MOBI is set as the format you want and set the path for sending files to match your requirements.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I will see what I can do. In the meantime I copied the mobi files manually over using Windows Explorer.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Thanks. I will see what I can do. In the meantime I copied the mobi files manually over using Windows Explorer.
Use The Save to Disk function of Calibre.
Benefits:
1) you don't have to mess around locating the book in the Library structure.
2) The transfer will be updated with the latest metadata
3) It is really easy to use
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Use The Save to Disk function of Calibre.
Benefits:
1) you don't have to mess around locating the book in the Library structure.
I often do a complex search, highlight them all then Save to Disk Example: all books that have received an award (one of my custom data fields) where the books are tagged (e.g., non-fiction) that I haven't read (another field). Making a manual list of these, then copying individually would be a pain. The search results can all be highlighted and transferred in minutes.
Quote:
2) The transfer will be updated with the latest metadata
3) It is really easy to use
4) you can tell it what name to use for each file and what directory structure to save in - makes it easy to find on the reader for whatever Android reader I'm currently using.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
mjt57
Connoisseur

Since posting this I have tried a few times to get Kindle for Android to sync with Calibre. However, for some reason it isn't detecting the library.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has a main memory (about 12 gigs free). It shows up as Drive E on my laptop. The removable SD card is Drive F.

If I select "Card A" which is the SD card, it sees a heap of files, mostly spreadsheets and other documents. If I select "Main Memory" of the device, where the Kindle for Android library resides, nothing.

I have submitted a bug report as per the Calibre manual instructions. Hopefully the lads will be able to resolve this one for me.

I've upgraded my library since I last posted this, including updated meta data, book covers and so on, which is reflected on my Kindle DX. I would like to have it replicated on the tablet if possible.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Did you change the settings of the Android driver as per itimpi's answer? Did you make sure that Calibre actually stores the books in the location needed? How do you transfer your books from Calibre to the tablet?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Since posting this I have tried a few times to get Kindle for Android to sync with Calibre. However, for some reason it isn't detecting the library.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has a main memory (about 12 gigs free). It shows up as Drive E on my laptop. The removable SD card is Drive F.

If I select "Card A" which is the SD card, it sees a heap of files, mostly spreadsheets and other documents. If I select "Main Memory" of the device, where the Kindle for Android library resides, nothing.

I have submitted a bug report as per the Calibre manual instructions. Hopefully the lads will be able to resolve this one for me.

I've upgraded my library since I last posted this, including updated meta data, book covers and so on, which is reflected on my Kindle DX. I would like to have it replicated on the tablet if possible.
I run Android on my HD2. I never see the main memory either, but if I did, I'd not want to put my library there. I keep all my libraries on the SD card. I barely have enough room in the main memory for my apps (I move most of those to the SD card also). Can you move the Kindle library to the SD card? That's really where you want it for an Android device and it's pretty unusual for an Android reader app to not keep ebooks there.

Next, what is the name of the Kindle library folder? By default, the Calibre Android driver will only find it if it's in one of the following folders: eBooks/import, wordplayer/calibretransfer, Books
Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I run Android on my HD2. I never see the main memory either, but if I did, I'd not want to put my library there. I keep all my libraries on the SD card. I barely have enough room in the main memory for my apps (I move most of those to the SD card also). Can you move the Kindle library to the SD card? That's really where you want it for an Android device and it's pretty unusual for an Android reader app to not keep ebooks there.

Next, what is the name of the Kindle library folder? By default, the Calibre Android driver will only find it if it's in one of the following folders: eBooks/import, wordplayer/calibretransfer, Books
By main memory he means internal sd card thats separate from the memory used for apps etc
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don't have a Android tablet so I may be confused but in all of your posts I don't see a bug. You need to follow itimpi's suggestion above and modify the Android plugin as needed (see attached and Starson17's post above.)

If that doesn't work you can always do as Starson17 advised and use the Save to disk feature to have calibre place the books you want in the correct folder. Using this feature also updates the metadata inside the book (something Windows explorer doesn't do.)

Or alternatively you can disable the Android plugin and use the Connect to folder feature to transfer your books to that folder. It will treat that folder as a device and once connected you would use the Send to device icon just like you do for the Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	android_plugin.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	75056  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
By main memory he means internal sd card thats separate from the memory used for apps etc
If that's the case, it's similar to my Archos tablet. In the Archos design, there are 3 storage areas:

1) a first chunk of the RAM comprising main memory used for Android apps
2) second chunk of the RAM which simulates an sdcard, but is really just RAM mounted at /sdcard
3) the real (optional) sdcard, mounted at /sdcard/sdcard. This is mostly used to store media files, etc., as Android apps that automatically use the sdcard expect to see it at /sdcard, not at sdcard/sdcard

I wonder if he's got a similar arrangement where his sdcard is mounted at an unexpected location.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I have a Tab also, if you want to use the Kindle app then you will have to put the books on the main memory, the app will not see them on the sd card. On my device the main directory is /kindle/. You should be able to check what your directory is in Windows explorer.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #13
mjt57
Connoisseur

Kovid kindly pointed out the error of my way(s). I had to edit the plugin for Android and name the directory in which the Android app Kindle for Android looks for its books. I didn't do it correctly.

All's find now. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I'm glad you finally solved your problem.

Quote:
Kovid kindly pointed out the error of my way(s). I had to edit the plugin for Android and name the directory in which the Android app Kindle for Android looks for its books. I didn't do it correctly.
You do realize the first reply you received in this thread pointed this out. You then received 3 follow up posts (1, 2, 3) that re-emphasized the need to adjust the Android's plugins book directory. I even attached a image so you would know where to modify your driver.

Thank goodness Kovid couched his words in a way you understood.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #15
mjt57
Connoisseur

Thanks dwanthny. Where I was confused was the reference to "driver" rather than to "plugin".