Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Rooted Color --> Custom ROM --> Avoid the Update

I rooted my Nook Color back in the day via the autonooter method (http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/05/how...nooter-method/).

Now that the new update is apparently being pushed (instead of just being a manual install choice), I and others are concerned about losing root and having to re-setup the Nook Color to our current custom needs.

Apparently going a step further with the autonooter guys and installing a custom ROM will prevent the update from being pushed (http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/06/how...he-nook-color/).

Has anyone tried and can confirm this? I'm going to try tonight, I think, if no one else has. I really just don't feel like the stock B&N capabilities are worth losing root right now.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
If you are running a different ROM (ie. cm7), whether from SDcard or from internal memory, you will NOT have anything to do with an update from B&N .... until such time as you boot back into the B&N software (if you use an sdcard rom).

You can use your NC all day long and it won't ever check w/ B&N for an update
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. Loaded the standard autonooter custom ROM (http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/06/how...he-nook-color/) onto my rooted Nook Color.

I *think* it worked - ROM manager said the install was successful, but I never did get the little notice in the bottom left hand corner of the screen like I was expecting. And everything looks and acts precisely the same way as before, which actually was what I had hoped for...

I hope I'm safe from the update now.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I unrooted my NC this morning to try the new update. One hour later, I brought in CM7 and I am not going back.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
So CM7 can be installed even with the 1.2 update? Kind of new to this Color thing.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
So CM7 can be installed even with the 1.2 update? Kind of new to this Color thing.
Yes, and it is very simple. For the record, the XDA forum instructions scared me and I spent a lot of time reading them. The instructions I followed are here: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_CyanogenMod_Installation and it took about 20 minutes and worked flawlessly.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting....I don't know if I"m going to do it yet or not. I'm kind of fond of the stock reader on this
Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Yes, and it is very simple. For the record, the XDA forum instructions scared me and I spent a lot of time reading them. The instructions I followed are here: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_CyanogenMod_Installation and it took about 20 minutes and worked flawlessly.
Thank you for the link.

Are there any pictures floating around of how the NC looks/behaves with CM7? Is it very different from the stock look/feel?

Nevermind, found some YouTube videos that looked very nice. I'm terribly interested in this, actually...... Hmm.

Last edited by anamardoll; 04-26-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Thank you for the link.

Are there any pictures floating around of how the NC looks/behaves with CM7? Is it very different from the stock look/feel?

Nevermind, found some YouTube videos that looked very nice. I'm terribly interested in this, actually...... Hmm.
It is very different, the stock nook look/feel went away from the Stock Android look/feel.

Installing CM7 will give you a consistent look/feel of most android devices. This is my OS of choice and I can tell you I'm not going back.

Also most Android apps work great with the CM7 ROM where as there are more issues with the stock nook.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Also most Android apps work great with the CM7 ROM where as there are more issues with the stock nook.

=X=
Ooh! Can you tell me if the Remember The Milk app works on CM7? That's the one thing that doesn't work on my current NC root + rom.

(Totally understand if you don't want to mess with finding out. Just wondering if it's something you already use. )

I may just load this this weekend, if I can figure out the instructions.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Ooh! Can you tell me if the Remember The Milk app works on CM7? That's the one thing that doesn't work on my current NC root + rom.

(Totally understand if you don't want to mess with finding out. Just wondering if it's something you already use. )

I may just load this this weekend, if I can figure out the instructions.
Never used it before, but I just downloaded it (on my CM7 NC) and set up an account ... looks like it is working fine
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Ah, thank you so much!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard

How do I uninstall CM7 from my Nook, I apparently installed it on the internal SD card, I DO NOT like it.

I want the stock B&N reader and organization back.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
How do I uninstall CM7 from my Nook, I apparently installed it on the internal SD card, I DO NOT like it.

I want the stock B&N reader and organization back.
I would assume you could get the 1.2 download from the BN site, load it on an SD card and reboot.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I rooted my Nook Color back in the day via the autonooter method (http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/05/how...nooter-method/).

Now that the new update is apparently being pushed (instead of just being a manual install choice), I and others are concerned about losing root and having to re-setup the Nook Color to our current custom needs.

Apparently going a step further with the autonooter guys and installing a custom ROM will prevent the update from being pushed (http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/06/how...he-nook-color/).

Has anyone tried and can confirm this? I'm going to try tonight, I think, if no one else has. I really just don't feel like the stock B&N capabilities are worth losing root right now.
If all you want to do is run the stock rom rooted and prevent autoupdates, easiest way seems to be to change the db parameter to manual.

Code:
# sqlite3 /data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db
sqlite> update registry set value='manual' where name='com.bn.device.fota.mode';
sqlite> .q
# reboot
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote