Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Request: Always Show the # of e-books

When Calibre is started without a device, it shows the total number of books in the current Library. That number, however, disappears once a device is added. I would like to request the the number remains with or without a device present.

Please & Thank You.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
When Calibre is started without a device, it shows the total number of books in the current Library. That number, however, disappears once a device is added. I would like to request the the number remains with or without a device present.

Please & Thank You.
If you use a Filter: formats:true
The count shows(in a yellow blob) instead of "All"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That search is also a nice way to separate book records with no formats (paper books - wish list books, etc.) from actual e-book records.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How or where would I find/create this filter?
Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How or where would I find/create this filter?
Filters are "saved searches"
so type that into the search bar, the save it with the green + at the end of the bar (you can give it a name)
That name now is available in the 'Filter box at the Left. (The blank at the top of the list, is how you un-filter).
Filters/saved searches are managed in the 'Tag Browser'
Old 03-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Filters are "saved searches"
so type that into the search bar, the save it with the green + at the end of the bar (you can give it a name)
That name now is available in the 'Filter box at the Left. (The blank at the top of the list, is how you un-filter).
Filters/saved searches are managed in the 'Tag Browser'
Ooooooh! Ok. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
That search is also a nice way to separate book records with no formats (paper books - wish list books, etc.) from actual e-book records.
Yes, I agree, that would be an excellent option if only it were feasible. My family, however, has way too many physical books to even think of adding our entire library to Calibre.

I keep my wishlist on Amazon and/or Goodreads.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Yes, I agree, that would be an excellent option if only it were feasible. My family, however, has way too many physical books to even think of adding our entire library to Calibre.
Well I have about 4000 paper books listed in calibre together with about 10000 ebooks (of which about 3000 overlap). I also keep my wishlist in Calibre, and have it set up so I can access it even when away from home.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Well I have about 4000 paper books listed in calibre together with about 10000 ebooks (of which about 3000 overlap). I also keep my wishlist in Calibre, and have it set up so I can access it even when away from home.
That is a lot of time & dedication! More power to you.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Do you have more than one computer/smartphone? Many hands and eyes

Import from ISBN can take a TXT (opt. CSV) file.

sort your books out into piles, give the ones with bar codes (only 978.... type) to someone with a scanner (app?)

Have others keyboard the ISBN, 1 per line into notepad (simple ASCII TXT) file

keep the piles in order until you verify they processed
Doing batches of 10-20 makes it easier to find the 'problem' (bad number, data not found)

I did 980 books in 2 weeks all by my lonesome , some so old the did not have an ISBN and had to be Googled when the 'get Metadata' failed
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict

As they say, where there is a will there is a way!

I owe you a ton of karma, BTW, but I'm told I have to "spread it around" first! LOL

If I do add my paper books, I'll probably do the small batches at a time method. I might even set up an add'l Library and have my kiddos enter their own books.