Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Ebook Buying Addicts' Brag Thread

OK, guys, this is for bragging what you've bought recently when falling off the wagon.

Just remember the pdurrant can see you, so NO FIBBING back in the support thread.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
OK, guys, this is for bragging what you've bought recently when falling off the wagon.
Nice. And yes, I'll be watching!

The last time I bought ebooks it was a whole bunch by Diane Duane from her own ebook store. All the Young Wizard Novels (9) and three novells and a shorter work set in her Middle Kingdom universe.

I highly recommend the Young Wizard series to anyone who likes fantasy. And they're nothing like Harry Potter, except that both involve young people who are called wizards. They also pre-date Harry Potter by a couple of decades.

Start with So You Want To Be A Wizard?.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-20-2011 at 05:02 PM.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Ha! Love it! Here goes:

North by Northwestern: A Seafaring Family on Deadly Alaskan Waters »By Captain Sig Hansen, Mark Sundeen

The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea »By Philip Hoare

Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us »By Alexandra Morton

Patriot Hearts: Inside the Olympics That Changed a Country »By John Furlong Gary Mason

The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom »By Slavomir Rawicz

It's July 20th. Not buying any more books until I have read another 50 books in my TBR list.

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 07-20-2011 at 04:40 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
anamardoll,

Yes, as a matter of fact I *am* very eager to hear what you bought at Amazon's Big Deal sale! I admit to haunting the support thread both in an effort to refrain from buying, and because you addicts often mention good books and sales. So, please TELL US!

Also, I think I may just possibly need to join in over on the addicts' support thread, sometime in the future. (Like after I buy some books at Amazon as sort of a last hurrah.) Not that I'm addicted, or anything like that.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Chris Stringer: The Origin of our Species

Iain Pears: An instance of the Fingerpost

Virginia Nicholson: Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived without Men After the First World War

John Connor: Phoenix (New Blood)
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^^It's only a problem when the pile of purchased TBRs means you have more than a year worth of reading.

I bought Terry Pratchett's Thud! on June 10th, 2011

Current unread purchased pages: 749
Current value of unread pages: $11.39
Estimated completion date: October 2, 2011
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Lessee.... I bought a few where the price had gone way done, a couple with swagbucks Amazon GCs, and several with $80 in Amazon GCs that I got for selling my nook.....

Commencement by Sullivan, J. Courtney
Our Tragic Universe by Thomas, Scarlett
When We Were Saints by Nolan, Han
The Calling by Wolfe, Inger Ash
Royko in Love: Mike's Letters to Carol by Royko, Mike
Full Dark, No Stars by King, Stephen
The Taken: A Hazel Micallef Mystery by Wolfe, Inger Ash
Grange House: A Novel by Blake, Sarah
A Curtain Falls by Pintoff, Stefanie
Pandemic by Kalla, Daniel
Room: A Novel by Donoghue, Emma (finally hit $9.99)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Riggs, Ransom
The Devil's Star by Nesbo, Jo
The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery by McIntyre, Mike

These were all purchased in the last 6 days.....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^That would be a problem. I was going to ask what you thought of Our Tragic Universe, but you probably haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
From the Amazon Big Sale, I got:

Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way
Practical Protection Magick: Guarding & Reclaiming Your Power
Raw Food
The Pope's Daughter: The Extraordinary Life of Felice della Rovere
The Nuremberg Trial
Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
Longitude
Dragon Slippers
Simpler Living: A Back to Basics Guide to Cleaning, Furnishing, Storing...
The Art of Extreme Self-Care
Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles)
Your Movie Sucks
Saint Training
Fairy Tales Reimagined: Essays on New Retellings
In the Peanut Gallery with Mystery Science Theater 3000
Brigitta of the White Forest
Scream Street: Fang of the Vampire
Murder Takes The Cake
The Tassajara Bread Book
Buffy Meets the Academy
The Twilight Mystique
Android Karenina
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls
Ex-Gay No Way
The Psychology of Harry Potter
The Meowmorphosis
Starlighter (Dragons of Starlight)
Magical Housekeeping
Wicca for Beginners
The Girl Who Was on Fire
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
The Incredible Origins of the Onyx Sun
Holy Bible (NIV)

And from B&N (for the same prices as Amazon):

Poison
Lockdown
Demigods and Monsters
The Borgia Bride
Bridge to Terabithia
Murder of a Medici Princess
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

In the Peanut Gallery with Mystery Science Theater 3000

I might have to look at this one.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Dang it you guys! You are just forcing me to buy more books!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I bought a cluster at Fictionwise a couple of weeks ago when they had a 60% off coupon, but nothing since. (I haven't finished reading those. And besides, Wowio has that free-PDF thing going on.) A bit before that, I bought Murphy's Rules for my daughter. (Non-novels don't get the $6 limit, but I'm still not dealing with DRM.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Nice. And yes, I'll be watching!

The last time I bought ebooks it was a whole bunch by Diane Duane from her own ebook store. All the Young Wizard Novels (9) and three novells and a shorter work set in her Middle Kingdom universe.

I highly recommend the Young Wizard series to anyone who likes fantasy. And they're nothing like Harry Potter, except that both involve young people who are called wizards. They also pre-date Harry Potter by a couple of decades.

Start with So You Want To Be A Wizard?.
I just bought So You Want to be a Wizard and I took a look at the code and it's awful. There no CSS file and the mess in each XML file is really bad (that;s being nice). Take a look and you'll see how bad it is. I wanted to change the font, change the margins and change the indent. But this would require a total start from scratch. I'm seriously thinking of asking for my money back it's that bad. It's made from MS Word and edited in Sigil. But whoever did the editing needs to go to school to learn proper CSS/XML. My time is worth more then the work needed to get this fixed.

This does bring up one issue in Sigil. Sigil should complain if there is no CSS.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-20-2011 at 09:42 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Wagon?? What wagon?? I didn't see any wagon..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #15
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Well I just bought a new Sony reader with, wait for it... over 600 books on it! The young man in the shop said I'll just put a few books on it for you, don't know what his definition of "a lot" would be. I'm not asking where they came from.

I think I win.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote