8 1 5.26%
9 1 5.26%
10 2 10.53%
11 - 24 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Voyage light setting in dark room

This is a poll for the darkest setting you comfortably use in a dark room after your eyes are fully dark adapted. If you usually use auto brightness and it is trained for you, where does it settle? If you use auto brightness, but sometimes need to turn it off and set it dimmer, what do you set it to? By dark room, I mean that you pretty much can not see the screen at all with the Voyage off. Being able to see that there is something in your hand is OK. Kindle Voyage only, please.

If you select 0-2 or 11-24, please consider posting which setting you use and maybe discuss why.

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-24-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add request for elaboration of 0-2 or 11-24 votes.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Either 7 or 8, but I put 7 in the poll.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I use 11 all the time. I used to change it depending on the ambient light, and now I don't bother. If I go any lower than 11 in a dark room, my eyes get tired faster.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I would not normally read in a totally dark room, always have a small side lamp. So I had to actually do this in the closet. I sat on a box for 10 minutes with my Voyage and was able to go down to 6. I have a feeling that maybe after more time I might possibly go to 5, but I am not sure. I didn't feel like hanging out in the closet much longer.

With side lamp I would use 8-9. So without any other light source other than the Voyage, probably 6. Possibly 5. Anything above 9 with sidelamp, or 6 with no other lamp blinds me. My eyes are light sensitive.

I do use bold setting on #2 and bookerly. Bold does make a difference for contrast, especially in the dark.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I think you should have more individual options to choose from between 11 and 24--there is quite a difference! I usually use 11 on my Voyage--but anything above 12 would be way too bright.

I have a suspicion there is variability between Voyages so that 11 on my model may be similar to 8 or 9 on someone elses.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 04:01 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I would not normally read in a totally dark room, always have a small side lamp. So I had to actually do this in the closet. I sat on a box for 10 minutes with my Voyage and was able to go down to 6. I have a feeling that maybe after more time I might possibly go to 5, but I am not sure. I didn't feel like hanging out in the closet much longer.

With side lamp I would use 8-9. So without any other light source other than the Voyage, probably 6. Possibly 5. Anything above 9 with sidelamp, or 6 with no other lamp blinds me. My eyes are light sensitive.

I do use bold setting on #2 and bookerly. Bold does make a difference for contrast, especially in the dark.
Thanks for the thorough explanation of your numbers. I wasn't expecting anybody that doesn't ever read in a dark room to do a research project, but the more responses the better.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:09 AM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I think you should have more individual options to choose from between 11 and 24--there is quite a difference! I usually use 11 on my Voyage--but anything above 12 would be way too bright.

I have a suspicion there is variability between Voyages so that 11 on my model may be similar to 8 or 9 on someone elses.
Well, I was originally planning to only have 8 choices. It seems unlikely that many would want brighter than 11 for a long read in a dark room. I forgot to ask people at the extremes to post a message with the brightness used. Thank you for doing so.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I did the test last night. I could read well at 10, but 11 was much more comfortable. I need pretty strong contrast due to vision damage, so I'm pretty pleased with 11 working.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:10 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No idea - I just use the auto light adjustment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage