Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
KO2 "Experimental Browser"

Has anyone spent any time trying the browser on the new Oasis? I used it for about 10 minutes before it crashed the device. Then things got weird.
Once it started up again ALL of my sideloaded books were gone. I attached it to my laptop, started Calibre and they all showed up again.
I'm not sure what happened.
Anyone else have any experience with the browser? I'm afraid to touch it again.
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kindle forum. This has nothing to do with Android devices!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
Has anyone spent any time trying the browser on the new Oasis? I used it for about 10 minutes before it crashed the device. Then things got weird.
Once it started up again ALL of my sideloaded books were gone. I attached it to my laptop, started Calibre and they all showed up again.
I'm not sure what happened.
Anyone else have any experience with the browser? I'm afraid to touch it again.
You don’t use the experimental browser to read your side loaded books.

When you thought your books were gone, did you look in Docs instead of Books?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
That browser was always special.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran it briefly for amusement's sake to prove to myself that web browsing on eInk was as impractical as ever, but haven't touched it since.

It's difficult to see how a web browser could affect your books, though.
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
rcrh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You don’t use the experimental browser to read your side loaded books.

When you thought your books were gone, did you look in Docs instead of Books?
I wasn't using it to read books. I was using it to view websites.
1) viewing websites
2) devices crashes
3) reboot
4) give up on browser and try to go back to reading.
5) try to look at my books in my 'library' and they were gone
6) start calibre and plug in kindle
7) my books are back.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
rcrh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I ran it briefly for amusement's sake to prove to myself that web browsing on eInk was as impractical as ever, but haven't touched it since.

It's difficult to see how a web browser could affect your books, though.
I agree. Imagine my surprise!

I wonder if the crash cause the kindle index to be corrupt and I just didn't wait long enough for it to rebuild. Wild speculation on my part.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That sounds like an entirely reasonable supposition to me.