Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6/5/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One issue with using px for margins is that moving between devices with different resolutions does not work very well. On an 600 pixel wide screen, 10 pixels is a lot wider than 10 pixels on a 1404 pixel wide screen.
And, of course, it doesn't scale with font size changes. I admit I didn't read the whole thread but when people use an indent/margin of x pixels (or worse inches like some meatgrinder conversions) then changing the font size makes the indent/margin look all out of proportion.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 AM   #17
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I have been happy to use pixels for margins for some years now and was not aware of such blatant defects. Thanks for pointing them even if I shall keep my way.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6/5/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
lol...no one's trying to force you to change! But others might take note and realize they shouldn't follow the dark path - even if they have cookies.

You probably haven't noticed a problem with px because you have the number of px for your margins set to look good with your normal font size. I'm certainly guilty of that. I code to what looks good to me on my device with my settings. But if you want to serve a greater variety of people then using units that scale seems to be the better choice.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM   #19
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
lol...no one's trying to force you to change! But others might take note and realize they shouldn't follow the dark path - even if they have cookies.

You probably haven't noticed a problem with px because you have the number of px for your margins set to look good with your normal font size. I'm certainly guilty of that. I code to what looks good to me on my device with my settings. But if you want to serve a greater variety of people then using units that scale seems to be the better choice.
As far as I am concerned, it's even more than that. For personal reading, I usually convert all ePub to custom PDF to get a perfect display - on my device.

I found an article that goes your way that I cite here for fairness purposes.

while some other experts advise to use pixel again...

Last edited by roger64; Yesterday at 06:36 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
As far as I am concerned, it's even more than that. For personal reading, I usually convert all ePub to custom PDF to get a perfect display - on my device.

I found an article that goes your way that I cite here for fairness purposes.

while some other experts advise to use pixel again...
@Roger:

Your links aren't working, the second one, it's trying to link to your anchor text. I'm curious to read your referenced article.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #21
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
@Roger:

Your links aren't working, the second one, it's trying to link to your anchor text. I'm curious to read your referenced article.

Hitch
Aha, sorry for this.

there is one: anti-pixel
https://medium.com/@julienetienne/pi...d-faa87cd8c8b9

and the second one (just use pixels)
https://benfrain.com/just-use-pixels/

Last edited by roger64; Yesterday at 12:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Aha, sorry for this.

there is one: anti-pixel
https://medium.com/@julienetienne/pi...d-faa87cd8c8b9

and the second one (just use pixels)
https://benfrain.com/just-use-pixels/
Roger, with all due respect, there's a REASON that you're reading a post from 2012 attempting to argue that using pixels in CSS makes sense. Moreover, his arguments, in my humble opinion, have almost zero bearing in the world of eBooks, which is not the same universe, really, as developing websites and webapps. Even the most inept web developer probably has more control over how his website will appear than the best eBook developer. As you're only making books for yourself, it's not super-important, but it certainly would be if you were building books that were supposed to work across devices.

As you're happy reading PDFs on an eReader, then, you have an already-perfect solution.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote