Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
OoMG
Junior Member
OoMG began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2018
Device: PW3
Unbrick a PW3

Hi, my PW3 wasn't able to start.
I tried to rescue it by using TTL, but it can't boot into recovery menu.
it shows "can't get kernel image".
Is there anyone could help me?

Thanks very much.
Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Nov 29 2017 - 11:20:27)

CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996 MHz
Temperature:   42 C, calibration data 0x55a4e15f
mx6sl pll1: 996MHz
mx6sl pll2: 528MHz
mx6sl pll3: 480MHz
mx6sl pll8: 50MHz
ipg clock     : 66000000Hz
ipg per clock : 66000000Hz
uart clock    : 80000000Hz
cspi clock    : 60000000Hz
ahb clock     : 132000000Hz
axi clock   : 198000000Hz
emi_slow clock: 22000000Hz
ddr clock     : 396000000Hz
usdhc1 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc2 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc3 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc4 clock  : 198000000Hz
MMC:  FSL_ESDHC: 0,FSL_ESDHC: 1,FSL_ESDHC: 2
Board: Muscat WFO
Boot Reason: [ POR ]
Boot Device: NAND
Board Id: 0670201152540N3B
S/N: G090G********
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Quick Memory Test 0x80000000, 0x1fff0000
POST done in 111 ms
BOOTMODE OVERRIDE: DIAGS
Battery voltage: 3857 mV

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >
OoMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,171
Karma: 17256900
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoMG View Post
Hi, my PW3 wasn't able to start.
I tried to rescue it by using TTL, but it can't boot into recovery menu.
it shows "can't get kernel image".
Is there anyone could help me?

Thanks very much.
Code:
U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Nov 29 2017 - 11:20:27)

CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996 MHz
Temperature:   42 C, calibration data 0x55a4e15f
mx6sl pll1: 996MHz
mx6sl pll2: 528MHz
mx6sl pll3: 480MHz
mx6sl pll8: 50MHz
ipg clock     : 66000000Hz
ipg per clock : 66000000Hz
uart clock    : 80000000Hz
cspi clock    : 60000000Hz
ahb clock     : 132000000Hz
axi clock   : 198000000Hz
emi_slow clock: 22000000Hz
ddr clock     : 396000000Hz
usdhc1 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc2 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc3 clock  : 198000000Hz
usdhc4 clock  : 198000000Hz
MMC:  FSL_ESDHC: 0,FSL_ESDHC: 1,FSL_ESDHC: 2
Board: Muscat WFO
Boot Reason: [ POR ]
Boot Device: NAND
Board Id: 0670201152540N3B
S/N: G090G********
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Quick Memory Test 0x80000000, 0x1fff0000
POST done in 111 ms
BOOTMODE OVERRIDE: DIAGS
Battery voltage: 3857 mV

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >
Code:
BOOTMODE OVERRIDE: DIAGS
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
Do what it is telling you it requires, install a "diags" system kernel image.

PS: do not wait until you see:
Code:
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Instead, as soon as you see output on the serial port line, press AND HOLD the "any key" down until u-boot sees it.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2018 at 09:27 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
OoMG
Junior Member
OoMG began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2018
Device: PW3
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do what it is telling you it requires, install a "diags" system kernel image.
Where can I download the "diags" system kernel image?
This link is the right version for pw3? https://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images..._kernel.img.gz

I found instructions from https://gist.github.com/TobiasWooldr...ca75190b9a473f

Last edited by OoMG; 07-04-2018 at 09:53 AM.
OoMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,171
Karma: 17256900
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoMG View Post
Thanks!

Where can I download the "diags" system kernel image?
This link is the right version for pw3? https://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images..._kernel.img.gz

I found instructions from https://gist.github.com/TobiasWooldr...ca75190b9a473f
No, it is for the PW1 not the PW2 or PW3

On this forum's index page, there are a number of threads in the "sticky" section.
One includes: "Where do I start" in its title.
Go there (first post) and dig a bit for the proper de-bricking instructions.
Otherwise:
If you use Tobias Wooldridge's instructions, get him to help you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
hanalee
Junior Member
hanalee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2018
Device: kindle pw3
I had the same problem.
I recovered pw3 with this article.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269099

However, I removed the diagnostic partition and kernel during the repair process,
I could not recover it.

Can anyone provide me with diagnostic partitions and kernels?
If so, please send it to my email address.
hana121024@yahoo.com

or,
Is there a way to log in to the Kindle system without using the Exit to login prompt in the Diags menu?

Last edited by hanalee; 07-06-2018 at 12:22 PM.
hanalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
knc1's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,171
Karma: 17256900
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas
Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I have posted here a backup file that creates the required files.
All you need is the 'diags' kernel and 'diags' filesystem (because Amazon posts an image with all of the 'main' files in it).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
hanalee
Junior Member
hanalee began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2018
Device: kindle pw3
I knew I had to backup but it was too late.
My partition and kernel were removed.

Knc1's excellent advice was to restore the main partition and kernel,
I could not recover the diagnostic partition and the kernel.

I did a search to repair the diagnostic partition and kernel, but I found only backups.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...03#post3569803

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=backup+script

Who can give me the diagnostics partition and kernel of pw3?
Please send it to my email
hana121024@yahoo.com
hanalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PW3 PW3-4, PW3-32, fw-5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak knc1 Kindle Developer's Corner 159 07-17-2018 04:39 PM
Unbrick a PW3 (Fastboot) MadMAXXX Kindle Developer's Corner 95 06-19-2018 06:45 AM
PW3 Unbrick a Kindle PW3 7th Generation hellomasters Kindle Developer's Corner 11 06-06-2018 07:12 PM
Help unbrick my PW3 samhfoley Kindle Developer's Corner 20 08-06-2017 08:44 PM
Need help to unbrick KV dhfmd Kindle Developer's Corner 5 03-04-2015 03:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.