Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
Habakkuk
Reader
Habakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
3G Whispernet

A friend is travelling to the US and is contemplating buying a Kindle (Voyage or Oasis) with 3G + WiFi connectivity. Now I know that the 3G is expected to work pretty much world-wide – at least in 100 or so countries – but there are different model numbers marketed in different countries. Why would they do this if the functionality is the same?

My question is this: will a US-purchased 3G Kindle work fine in Australia?
Habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:30 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
A Voyage or Oasis cannot be used to browse everything on the web - it is limited to the store and wikipedia. The last Kindle to alllow browsing was the 3g version of the Kindle Keyboard. The Kindle 2 before that came in 2 flavors: one US only and one international for worldwide plus US. Anything newer is always the internatinal version, but no longer free browsing.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakkuk View Post
A friend is travelling to the US and is contemplating buying a Kindle (Voyage or Oasis) with 3G + WiFi connectivity. Now I know that the 3G is expected to work pretty much world-wide – at least in 100 or so countries – but there are different model numbers marketed in different countries. Why would they do this if the functionality is the same?

My question is this: will a US-purchased 3G Kindle work fine in Australia?
It will work perfectly in Australia.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
Habakkuk
Reader
Habakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It will work perfectly in Australia.
Thank you Pjama. My friend will be happy.

Thanks for your comment DukkieTigger. Yes I know that - downloading and synching books is all it’s needed for.
Habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakkuk View Post
Thank you Pjama. My friend will be happy.

Thanks for your comment DukkieTigger. Yes I know that - downloading and synching books is all it’s needed for.
You're welcome!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote