Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Question Can't clear 'Furthest Page Read' on Personal Docs?

I know we can clear the 'furthest page read' on a normal Amazon ebook, but is it possible to clear it on a personal document (non-amazon book) as well? The option for that is only on Amazon books.

I'm rereading a book that I finished last month (I was medicated when I read it, so I forgot most of it, lol).

The progress feature worked fine the first time I read it. But now that I've started back at the beginning, the progress is inaccurate because the device thinks the book is finished.

On the first page it said "9 minutes to the end of the book", but no matter how much further I read, it never changes. I'm at 50% and it's still saying 9 minutes. The locations are correct; just the remaining time is off.

I know deleting the book from my archives and resending it will fix the issue, but I was hoping not to have to do that because it's book #1 of an 8 book series and I'd like them to show up together in the archives, not split up and several pages away.

PS: I'm using a PW2
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know of any way, but I'd suggest asking Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know of any way, but I'd suggest asking Amazon.
Darn. Ok thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaisTina View Post
I can read it just fine. Try to restart your kindle..
You obviously didn't read my post. READING it is not the problem; I can read it just fine.

The problem is the "time remaining" part of the progress feature (at the bottom) is inaccurate and does not work on completed personal documents (which are different than Amazon eBooks), and the "Furthest Page Read" cannot be reset on the website, where that setting resides.

Restarting the device would be futile because the "Furthest Page Read" info is stored on Amazon's server (Whispersync), not the device.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I had a similar issue. I ended up deleting the whole series from Amazon and my devices, re converting them (in my case mobi to mobi using Calibre) and then uping them to Amazon again. In Calibre (for instance) you can number each book in the series and when downloaded on to your PW you'll be able to see them listed as {author, series #, title} or any other way you'd like them sorted.
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You might try resetting the time remaining as per this post to see if it helps:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194368
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
You might try resetting the time remaining as per this post to see if it helps:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194368
Wow, thanks! It worked. However, it only solved half the problem.

The "time remaining" is now correct, but Whispersync still thinks the "Furthest Page Read" is the end of the book, which means the book won't sync between devices.

I alternate between my PW2 at I'm home, and the iPhone app when I'm out, so being able to sync is important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoz123 View Post
I had a similar issue. I ended up deleting the whole series from Amazon and my devices, re converting them (in my case mobi to mobi using Calibre) and then uping them to Amazon again.
I'm not sure I understand. How does converting mobi to mobi solve the issue of the missing option to clear "Furthest Page Read"? The problem is that 'Personal Documents' only have two options (send & delete) next to them, as opposed to the six or so options on Amazon eBooks.

Does converting mobi to mobi make Amazon treat them as eBooks instead of Personal Documents? I heard there was a way to do that, but I don't remember how it was done or where I saw it.

Quote:
In Calibre (for instance) you can number each book in the series and when downloaded on to your PW you'll be able to see them listed as {author, series #, title} or any other way you'd like them sorted.
Thank you, yes, I do this already. Next to books, Calibre is my best friend

My concern about sorting wasn't about the Kindle; they sort just fine there. It's my amazon library (on the website). The series was uploaded months ago, and if I delete and re-up just this volume, then book #1 will be several pages away from the rest of the series, which will bug me. I can live with it, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can sort by author or title on Manage Your Kindle.

The default is sort by Date Added.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can sort by author or title on Manage Your Kindle.
I know, but when I'm using it I need it sorted by date because I'm usually looking for books that were uploaded during certain months or whatever.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
I'm not sure I understand. How does converting mobi to mobi solve the issue of the missing option to clear "Furthest Page Read"?
For me, when I deleted the original from Amazon, re converted it mobi to mobi in Calibre and then upped it again to Amazon it fixed the time issue you mentioned earlier and reset the furthest page read thingy. However, converting mobi to mobi in Calibre won't change it from a Personal Doc into a book.

Also (I think) if you set Calibre to convert and use {author, series #, title} then in your Amazon account, if you choose Personal Doc and click the Title or maybe even the Author column, then each series will sort consecutively by title.

eg:
the Series ABC - 01 - the Title
the Series ABC - 02 - the Title
the Series XYZ - 01 - the Title
the Series XYZ - 02 - the Title

Hope this help...
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoz123 View Post
For me, when I deleted the original from Amazon, re converted it mobi to mobi in Calibre and then upped it again to Amazon it fixed the time issue you mentioned earlier and reset the furthest page read thingy.
I think the reason it was fixed is because you deleted it from the archives (server) and uploaded a new one. That alone fixes it, even if you re-upload the exact same file, because the "furthest page read" data is deleted along with the book. Uploading a new one (even the same file) is starting fresh.

I have a feeling the problem would reappear if the new one that you uploaded was finished. If you happen to test it, I'd be interested to hear the results.

Quote:
Also (I think) if you set Calibre to convert and use {author, series #, title} then in your Amazon account, if you choose Personal Doc and click the Title or maybe even the Author column, then each series will sort consecutively by title.
That may be true, but the problem is that I need to sort by DATE on the 'Manage My Kindle" page, so it doesn't work for that. Thanks anyway though
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
delete the folder bookname.sdr in in the documents folder you will loose last page read, page speed, notes and highlights.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
delete the folder bookname.sdr in in the documents folder you will loose last page read, page speed, notes and highlights.
No you will not. You will lose the kindle's offline record of the annotations data.

When next connecting to WiFi, it will/should redownload all that data... although if the book was sideloaded and didn't go through the Personal Documents service, you would've been right.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #13
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Well I tried it a few minutes ago (before seeing Eschwartz post) and it ALMOST worked. What I mean is, it might've worked great if I hadn't also reached the end of the book on my iPod Touch.

Deleting the folder did wipe out the 'furthest page read' info on my Paperwhite. In fact, when I reopened the book after doing this, the book opened to the very first page, which I thought was great.

The problem is, that same 'furthest page read' info exists in the Kindle app on my iPod, which also synced with the server. So when I clicked "sync to furthest page read", it told me the furthest page read was the end of the book on my iPOD.

Unfortunately, the iOS Kindle app doesn't have anyway to access its own folders or files, so I can't delete that folder like I did on the Paperwhite.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #14
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
When next connecting to WiFi, it will/should redownload all that data... although if the book was sideloaded and didn't go through the Personal Documents service, you would've been right.
So you're saying that info is stored on whispersync's server and not the device or the app? If so then there's no chance of fixing it. All of my personal documents go through the server (not side-loaded) because it's the only way they'll sync across my other devices.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #15
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

With all the millions of kindle owners out there who have non-amazon books on their devices, how is it that I'm the only one (according to Kindle tech support) who's complained about the inability to clear 'furthest page read' on personal documents?

Am I really the only person who's tried to reread a book on my kindle that wasn't purchased from Amazon and wanted it to sync???

Last edited by Vmurph; 05-21-2014 at 12:32 AM.