Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 02:41 AM   #1
unidevel
unidevel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle voyage
Use kindle as an extra terminal screen

I happen to notice the screen can share its session to others, by using usbnet, , kterm, ssh on kindle, and screen sshd on my mac, I successfully turn the kindle as an extra display of terminal.

The core idea is setup sshd on PC, then connect kindle using usbnet, and from kterm ssh back to PC then start screen to attach existing session.

Here is the details:

1. setup sshd, setup ssh key pairs, put public key to $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys

2. On PC, start screen with a named session - kindle
Code:
screen -S kindle
3. Open another terminal to launch ssh to kindle from PC, copy private key to /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/id_rsa

4. then create 2 files to /mnt/us (the root of kindle usb stroage), one named kterm.sh to launch kterm with some special settings(no keyboard, mini font, rotate etc)
Code:
/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/kterm -k 0 -o R -f mono -s 7 -e /mnt/us/mirror.sh
another one named mirror.sh, (replace <user> and <host>)
Code:
ssh -t -i /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/id_rsa <user>@<host> -- screen -x kindle
5. in the terminal(on PC side) which connected to kindle, start the kterm.sh
Code:
/mnt/us/kterm.sh
6. Now whatever you do in kindle terminal (onPC, step 2), the kindle will output the same in kindle as the screenshot below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	168376
unidevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's also a tmux build in the USBNet package, to avoid the second coming of the holy war .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert