Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
nichol2
nichol2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can't add PDFs

Hi folks,

(Posting this now without the specific error text, as I'm away from my laptop and kindle for a day or two, in case someone has an idea)

Been using Calibre (currently 3.55) with my Kindle Paperwhite (it's an older model) for years.

I've got a load of PDFs (mostly academic and journal articles) on my Laptop (PC) I want to add to my Kindle via Calibre, but I'm getting an Errno13 (pemission denied) every time I try and add the PDFs to Calibre. I've tried adding them from different locations/folders and it makes no difference.

Epubs and Mobis can be added without a problem.

I've tried converting the PDFs to Epubs/Mobis but you always lose the correct line spacing.

Have looked through threads and can't find the same problem anywhere.

I'll paste the error text as soon as I can, but if anyone has ideas in the meantime that'd be great!
nichol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@nichol2 - try doing a Print to PDF from a PDF reader - then add the PDF you just printed to calibre.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
nichol2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@nichol2 - try doing a Print to PDF from a PDF reader - then add the PDF you just printed to calibre.

BR
That sounds annoyingly simple!

I was going to save the PDF as .odt or .docx and try and add to Calibre.

Will try it out.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
nichol2

Quote:

BR
So that isn't working, neither is converting the PDFs to Doc.

I've tried it with a few different files, and anything that isn't an Epub or Mobi can't be added for some reason.

This is the error, the file in question is a random manual for a woodburner that I've had on my hardrive for ages, just for illustration - but this same error is appearing in Calibre for every single different PDF I try and add, regardless of source.

"

With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 444, in add_formats
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1412, in add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1377, in _do_add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1519, in add_format
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 117, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: u'C:\\Users\\Myname\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Provided By MANUALSLIB.COM - http__\\ManualsLib - Makes it easy to find (500)\\ManualsLib - Makes it easy to f - Provided By MANUALSLIB.COM - ht.pdf'

"
Old 12-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichol2 View Post
So that isn't working, neither is converting the PDFs to Doc.

I've tried it with a few different files, and anything that isn't an Epub or Mobi can't be added for some reason.
That msg originates from Windows, says it can't create a file, but its odd that it is only some file types, try turning off your AV.

Also try downloading this file https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/calibre.pdf to your desktop, then drag and drop it into the calibre book list, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	168370

BR
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

And - what do you have in Preferences>Add Books>Reading Metadata - in particular the settings I've highlighted below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	168371

BR
Old 12-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
that's a permission denied error, see https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
nichol2

Quote:
That msg originates from Windows, says it can't create a file, but its odd that it is only some file types, try turning off your AV.

Also try downloading this file https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/calibre.pdf to your desktop, then drag and drop it into the calibre book list, viz:

Attachment 168370

BR
Turned anti-virus off and the problem disappears, thanks!

For now I'll use that as a fix, though it's far from ideal.

Dragging the PDFs directly into the device is also an option but I often lose bits of pages that way.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichol2 View Post
Turned anti-virus off and the problem disappears, thanks!

For now I'll use that as a fix, though it's far from ideal.
You need to find out what/why your AV is preventing files being created and then use its location/flie type exclusion features - or get another AV

BR