Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I found the model IDs for the Aura ONE by trial and error. The rest were found from Kobo demo devices at stores, and random things I saw on the forums. Also, I have made a list here: https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff You can find out the model ID in the .kobo/version file on the Kobo.
Very useful. You need to update your link to download page from within Kobostuff page to use https instead of http.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #17
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Do you have any other suggestions for my tool?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #18
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
It's a nice site, there's also another http://kobofw.herokuapp.com/ but it doesn't have the newest models listed (although you can change the model ID of the request manually).
The other tool was updated earlier today, but it does not show all the info which mine does.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #19
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It links to release notes which yours does not. Well, the release notes kinda stink, they never actually mention the changes, but ...

In the end, only the download link itself matters. It's nice to have these sites in any case, thanks for making them.

Back in the day with my old iriver Story HD I had a cron job that queries the servers directly, and I'd get mail when there was an update. Too lazy to make the same thing for Kobo even though it's not difficult.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Back in the day with my old iriver Story HD I had a cron job that queries the servers directly, and I'd get mail when there was an update. Too lazy to make the same thing for Kobo even though it's not difficult.
If you want to automate it a bit, calibre plus my Kobo Utilities plugin can check when you plug the device in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #21
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
It links to release notes which yours does not. Well, the release notes kinda stink, they never actually mention the changes, but ...

In the end, only the download link itself matters. It's nice to have these sites in any case, thanks for making them.

Yes, and I just wanted to say that the reason why I made my tool was not to compete with the other one one, or to make other threads useless, but because the other one was not up to date at the time, neither did it automatically check the different affiliates for the very latest version.

Also, for Linux command line users, I have also made an automated tool to update firmware too. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273687

Last edited by geek1011; 12-29-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #22
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Also, for Linux command line users, I have also made an automated tool to update firmware too. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273687
Thank you. There's a ton of good stuff in this forum and it all just drowns and vanishes out of sight.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #23
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you. There's a ton of good stuff in this forum and it all just drowns and vanishes out of sight.
You're welcome
Old 01-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Do you put in the links yourself (static page), or have you implemented some sort of version check to find the latest version of each firmware automatically? It could take some time if you need to be updating each link by hand all the time.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I found the model IDs for the Aura ONE by trial and error. The rest were found from Kobo demo devices at stores, and random things I saw on the forums. Also, I have made a list here: https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff You can find out the model ID in the .kobo/version file on the Kobo.
Thanks. Interesting stuff.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #26
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Do you put in the links yourself (static page), or have you implemented some sort of version check to find the latest version of each firmware automatically? It could take some time if you need to be updating each link by hand all the time.
There is an automatic version check. You can read the source code to see how. It is pretty simple.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #27
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks. Interesting stuff.
You're welcome
Old 02-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #28
geek1011
Wizard

In my Kobo firmware downloader, I have added the beta affiliate to the list, so it is now up to date with the latest firmware.

I have also added an option to filter the list, which can be useful, for example by firmware version, mark number, model name, or model ID

Last edited by geek1011; 02-11-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
In my Kobo firmware downloader, I have added the beta affiliate to the list, so it is now up to date with the latest firmware.

I have also added an option to filter the list, which can be useful, for example by firmware version, mark number, model name, or model ID
Actually, it would be even more updated if you added FNAC. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #30
geek1011
Wizard

I have updated this tool.

I have refactored the code. I now have a configuration section near the top of the code to make it easier to add additional affiliates and devices. I also use promises to make the code more understandable.

The load time is also 3x faster because I now check the different affiliates concurrently.

I have added a release notes button as well (I have been requested to do so).

I have also restyled the links.

I plan to include push notifications with the next version.

Please tell me what you think of the new code. Also, for the people who have been asking how this works, the code should be easier to understand.

Last edited by geek1011; 02-27-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Tags
download, firmware, kobo