Notices

Old 09-01-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
RadicalxEdward
Enthusiast
RadicalxEdward began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Lightbulb Fix for missing tooltips in Kindle Comic Converter for Mac

Hello all

I have often had trouble with one particular issue with Kindle Comic Converter no matter which version it was. More often than not, the tool tips that explain each option wouldn't show up, so if i hadn't used the app for a while i'd forget which settings did exactly what and what i wanted to use. This happened across multiple versions of KCC and OS X (currently on yosemite public beta)

So here's a quick simple fix for anyone having the same problem and can't figure out a solution.

Simply open terminal and enter:
Code:
defaults write com.kindlecomicconverter.KindleComicConverter NSInitialToolTipDelay -int 1000
What does this do? Well it changes the amount of time it takes for a tooltip to show up after hovering. In this particular case it only effects KCC and not your other apps. The default delay is 1 second (1000 milliseconds). So you're not really changing anything, but for some reason, if the tooltips get turned off, this should restore them. And since there's no documentation on the KCC website about what the tooltips say, this can really come in handy.
RadicalxEdward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Interesting. I tested it on 10.10 and tooltips are working correctly. It look more like yet-another PyQt issue.

I hope that PyQt 5.5 wil be usable on OSX soon.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
RadicalxEdward
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Interesting. I tested it on 10.10 and tooltips are working correctly. It look more like yet-another PyQt issue.

I hope that PyQt 5.5 wil be usable on OSX soon.
Yeah I haven't been able to find a consistent combination of OS X and KCC that cause this problem every time, but i've had it many times and this is the first reliable solution i've found. Seems to be a good catchall. I might have some other app that's killing the tooltips, but i haven't been able to find it.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that I found the cause.

Next release should fix this mess.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
RadicalxEdward
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
I think that I found the cause.

Next release should fix this mess.
Really?! Awesome! I wasn't even positive it was anything to do with kcc, just that that's the place I noticed it and cared about the effects. Maybe it would be better to just have a page on the kcc site or something that describes all the options.

Also I'm curious about a couple things. Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but...
Is there or will there ever be, settings you would recommend for the ipad(mini/air) that keeps things in color but does all the great cropping and whatnot?

Also is there or will there ever be, a way to turn on/off manga mode without reconverting a book? I noticed my paperwhite 2 gets confused with manga mode and starts mixing up the forward / back page buttons. Sometimes left goes to next page, sometimes it goes to previous sometimes it goes back and forth between the two all in the same book. Especially if I'm changing multiple pages quickly.

Also I recall something being mentioned about kcc having some online db connection for metadata (I think cbd or something like that. Idk) but I'm curious if you will ever be adding a straight up meta-data preference pane type thing to directly edit most of the metadata/cover? I've had a hell of a time getting both calibre and my kindle to not say the author of my manga is kcc. Even if the metadata in calibre is correct, if I view the book in calibre, or my kindle, it still says kcc. I can make a new topic for this if you prefer.
Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

@iOS - I have same suggestion as for Android users. Don't use KCC :-P I'm quite sure there is some native reader application that will work correctly - additional conversion is not necessary.

@Manga mode - No. Reversing touch zones is done by Kindle itself. It is not possible to "mix up" controls. When manga mode is on previous page touch zone always move to next panel/page.

@Metadata - KCC have metadata editor for some time. It use ComicRack format. KCC create hybrid MOBI files that are not supported by Calibre. Reconverting them in Calibre will corrupt the file.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can, however, use KindleUnpack (there is a plugin that incorporates this into calibre) to split the hybrid MOBI in two, and calibre will be able to properly update the AZW3 or MOBI components, individually.

(MOBI should only ever be used on a device that doesn't support AZW3. Basically, the Kindle DX/2/Original. It is a pity that kindlegen doesn't support choosing your output format, and bundling KindleUnpack with KCC would be going a little overboard.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

KindleUnpack was bundled for long time :-) We dropped it because it was not created to parse books that contain only images and creating AZW3 with it sometimes took 3x more than rest of process.

Yes. Using KindleUnpack is a option but make sure you don't make full MOBI->MOBI conversion. In this case not all needed headers will survive and book will fall apart.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 09-18-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Like I said, a little overboard.

You can't have 3x slowdown across the board just so a few people can update metadata in calibre.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcc, kindle comic converter, mac, tool tips, tooltips