Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #61
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is the 9.4 attachment not in post #1?
It's there now.

Thanks for the heads-up.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #62
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Just fixed but not yet added to a full release:
- improve the removal of stray blank lines BEFORE a page-break that caused empty blank pages to be inserted into the ebook. Fixed for now in mobi2IMP.exe dos only (see Mobi2IMP-9.3b-dos.zip in post#1 above).

I will no longer change the GUI installer for minor bug fixes that do not change to GUI options screen. Instead, I will update only the mobi2IMP.exe in the 'Mobi2IMP/bin' directory. Unzip the highest version number followed by a letter in post#1 above into the 'Mobi2IMP/bin' home directory overwriting the old .exe. At the next release, these files will be deleted!
nrapallo, are you using the Enhanced Message Editor interface? In some of your posts (like above) you're switching font sizes for words and letters, and I remember a similar problem when I tried to use the WYSIWYG editor. For now, I'll stick to the normal editor.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #63
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
nrapallo, are you using the Enhanced Message Editor interface? In some of your posts (like above) you're switching font sizes for words and letters, and I remember a similar problem when I tried to use the WYSIWYG editor. For now, I'll stick to the normal editor.
No I am not using the Enhanced editor (maybe I should have a look see!).

No what you see is me SHOUTING important things that may get lost in the shuffle! The font changes are deliberate. They solved some issues with newbies a while back and I didn't have the heart to remove it. I like newbies and tailor to them!

Thanks anyways,
Old 06-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #64
nrapallo

Pending improvement to Mobi2IMP 9.4

Just fixed but not yet added to a full release:
- FIX: Now properly uses the output directory to store results in a different directory than the input. Thanks to Elsi for discovering this.
- FIX: Now properly manipulates BookDesigner notice at end "as advertised".

Fixed for now in Mobi2IMP.exe dos only (see Mobi2IMP-9.4b-dos.zip in post#1 above).

I will no longer change the GUI installer for minor bug fixes that do not change to GUI options screen. Instead, I will update only the Mobi2IMP.exe in the 'Mobi2IMP/bin' directory. Unzip the highest version number followed by a letter in post#1 above into the 'Mobi2IMP/bin' home directory overwriting the old .exe. At the next release, these files will be deleted!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi2IMP-9.4b-dos.zip (1.65 MB, 786 views)
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #65
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi all, I've been lurking on the board for weeks, but this is my first post. I have an EB 1150 on the way (just returned a Kindle), and I've been trying to learn how to convert some of the different ebook formats into .imp files. I don't know anything about using ebook publishing software, but I'm fairly computer literate.

I've figured out how to convert a .lit to .imp, by trial and error. But I have been trying to use the mobi2imp for literally HOURS today, and I just can't figure it out. Has anyone here written down instructions that a real newbie to all of this can follow? I've looked at the mini-tutorial and help files, and I'm just not getting it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will take pity on me!

I guess I should add a little more....I do have eBook Publisher installed. When I run the GUI version of mobi2imp9.4, what I'm getting is an .imp and .opf file for both the 1150 & 1200, and a folder with an .html file. All of these files are under 5KB. If I tell it to include the cover, the files are larger and have the cover, but no book.

Last edited by lindnet; 07-27-2008 at 08:35 PM.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #66
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
...I have an EB 1150 on the way (just returned a Kindle), and I've been trying to learn how to convert some of the different ebook formats into .imp files.
The .imp files can be viewed on a PC by double-clicking them (after having installed the eBook Publisher software from ETI). The EB 1150 will read the HalfVGA (320x480) '.imp' files whereas the larger FullVGA (480x640) '_1200.imp' can only be read on the REB 1200 device (or PC viewer)!

Quote:
I've figured out how to convert a .lit to .imp, by trial and error.
You can automate this somewhat by following the instructions here (if you haven't already done so).

Quote:
But I have been trying to use the mobi2imp for literally HOURS today, and I just can't figure it out. Has anyone here written down instructions that a real newbie to all of this can follow? I've looked at the mini-tutorial and help files, and I'm just not getting it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will take pity on me!
Everything is hard when starting out. Let's try going through some basics:

1) What input files were you trying to convert from i.e. .prc/.pdb/.mobi?
2) Did you see any notice in the command prompt window that is started by the GUI stating that the "EBW 1150 ebook created!" or any other warning/error message.
3) Did you double-click the resulting .imp to see if that is what you expected?

Quote:
I guess I should add a little more....I do have eBook Publisher installed. When I run the GUI version of mobi2imp9.4, what I'm getting is an .imp and .opf file for both the 1150 & 1200, and a folder with an .html file. All of these files are under 5KB. If I tell it to include the cover, the files are larger and have the cover, but no book.
Oh, oh, the .imp file *is* the ebook! I think you converted the ebook, but need to make sure it was successful. Don't look at the '_1200.imp' file as that one is for the 1200. Does this make sense now?

If this still doesn't make any sense, post the input file (if you can along with the .html file) and the resuting 1150 .imp file and I will see what is going wrong.

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-11-2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: fixed font
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #67
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

1) What input files were you trying to convert from i.e. .prc/.pdb/.mobi?
It is a .prc file.

Quote:
2) Did you see any notice in the command prompt window that is started by the GUI stating that the "EBW 1150 ebook created!" or any other warning/error message.
I could have sworn that it said it was created successfully. I can try it again tonight and pay more attention to exactly what it says.

Quote:
3) Did you double-click the resulting .imp to see if that is what you expected?
Yes, it was empty. The first time I tried it, I had told it to include the cover, so it just had the cover in there and nothing else. When I deleted those files and tried it again without the cover, there was just nothing there. It's like it converts the cover, but not the book.

I'm not positive whether the book has DRM or not, would that be the problem?

Quote:
Oh, oh, the .imp file *is* the ebook! I think you converted the ebook, but need to make sure it was successful. Don't look at the '_1200.imp' file as that one is for the 1200. Does this make sense now?

If this still doesn't make any sense, post the input file (if you can along with the .html file) and the resuting 1150 .imp file and I will see what is going wrong.
I figured that the .imp file was supposed to be the ebook, and I did figure out that it makes both an 1150 and a 1200, for the different devices. But both of those files, as well as the html file in the folder, all have less than 5KB in them. The .prc file is somewhere in the 300-400KB range.

Nick, thanks so much for helping me out, I really appreciate it!! I am at work now and the files are all on my home pc, so I will post them when I'm home tonight.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #68
nrapallo

Quote:
I'm not positive whether the book has DRM or not, would that be the problem?
Yes, DRM'ed files would be a problem as Mobi2IMP only converts non-encrypted files.

Check what the command prompt window says at the top (and scroll back if it disappears). If the original .prc was created with 'high compression' i.e. Huffman-coding then Mobi2IMP will not work on that file. Try the mobi2oeb created by Kovidgoyal and part of his Calibre (Sony PRS-500/505) software package available elsewhere in the Mobileread.com forums.

Also, try converting any .prc uploaded here in the Mobi/.PRC upload forum to see 'Mobi2IMP' in action, if that .prc is giving you problems.

Quote:
Nick, thanks so much for helping me out, I really appreciate it!! I am at work now and the files are all on my home pc, so I will post them when I'm home tonight.
You're welcome!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #69
lindnet
Enthusiast

I did see something about a compressed file in here. I'll go ahead and post what I see in the command prompt window.....but don't worry about it too much. It wasn't an expensive book and I found it on the eBookwise site, so I can always just purchase it again in a format that works for me. I'm thinking maybe I should stick with .lit, since I figured out how to convert that one.

Anyway, here's what it says:

Command Line
============

"C:\Program Files\Mobi2IMP\bin\Mobi2IMP" --1200 --verbose --BDremove "C:\Docum
ts and Settings\Elvis\My Documents\My eBooks\incidentsinthelife\incidentsinthe
fe.prc"

Mobi2IMP (version 9.4) Copyright (C) 2008 Nick Rapallo (nrapallo)
FULLFILENAME: C:\Documents and Settings\Elvis\My Documents\My eBooks\incidents
thelife\incidentsinthelife.prc
FILENAME : incidentsinthelife.prc
EXPLODEDIR : incidentsinthelife
DatabaseName: Incidents_in-f_a_Slave_Girl
Version : 0
Type : BOOK
Creator : MOBI
baktime : -2082844800
# of records: 143
---------------------------------------------------
Image_Index: 0 - record-139 - 0 - 303716 - 60020 - 509 x 764
Image_Index: 1 - record-140 - 0 - 363736 - 15668 - 160 x 240
PDHEADER Version: 2
PDHEADER Length: 557921
PDHEADER NRecords: 137
PDHEADER Recsize: 4096
PDHEADER Unknown: 131072
MOBIHEADER ciflg: 1
MOBIHEADER ciptr: 140
MOBIHEADER doctype: MOBI
MOBIHEADER length: 232
MOBIHEADER booktype: 2 - BOOK
MOBIHEADER codep: 1252
MOBIHEADER uniqid: 4216148664
MOBIHEADER ver: 4
MOBIHEADER exthflg: 80
MOBIHEADER codepage: 1252
MOBIHEADER language: 1033 - ENGLISH - ENGLISH_US
MOBIHEADER LONGTITLE: Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
EXTH doctype: EXTH
EXTH length: 720
EXTH n_items: 17
EXTH item: 100 (x64) - Author - 14 - Harriet Jacobs
EXTH item: 101 (x65) - Publisher - 10 - Girlebooks
EXTH item: 110 (x6e) - SubjectCode - 9 - BIO000000
EXTH item: 105 (x69) - Subject - 11 - Biographies
EXTH item: 103 (x67) - Description - 435 - "Slavery is terrible for men, bu
it is far more terrible for women," Harriet Jacobs wrote in 1861. Under the pe
name Linda Brent, she published one of the few personal slave narratives writt
by a woman. Jacobs was a slave in North Carolina and made several failed atte
ts to escape before successfully making her way North. The book chronicles her
ife as a slave, her escape and hiding, and finally her reunion with her childr
EXTH item: 118 (x76) - 118 - 4 - 1.99
EXTH item: 119 (x77) - 119 - 3 - USD
EXTH item: 300 (x12c) - 300 - 38 - 0x1000000000000008002000000000000000ecbe
ed4094
EXTH item: 204 (xcc) - 204 - 4 - 0x0002
EXTH item: 205 (xcd) - 205 - 4 - 0x0004
EXTH item: 206 (xce) - 206 - 4 - 0x0002
EXTH item: 207 (xcf) - 207 - 4 - 0x00029
EXTH item: 201 (xc9) - CoverOffset - 4 - 0x0000
------> Cover Image_Index: 0
EXTH item: 203 (xcb) - hasFakeCover - 4 - 0x0000
EXTH item: 202 (xca) - ThumbOffset - 4 - 0x0001
EXTH item: 2 (x2) - drm_commerce_id - 14 - BOBLIVOLSI_353
EXTH item: 3 (x3) - drm_ebookbase_book_id - 5 - 94537
------> Version: 2 - 2 - DOC_COMPRESSED
Found 2 images
Looking for filepos
Found all 0 filepos
Adding name attributes
Fixing filepos attribute
TITLE : Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
AUTHOR : Harriet Jacobs
CATEGORY: Biographies
EBW 1150 ebook created!
REB 1200 ebook created!
Press any key to continue . . .

So.....what did I do wrong?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #70
nrapallo

Quote:
So.....what did I do wrong?
I don't think you did anything wrong!

It seems the .prc ebook when exploded leaves behind the .html and that .html may have some incompatibilities with the eBook Publisher software. Double click the resulting .html to see if it properly displays in your web browser.

If so, then double-click the resulting .opf to launch eBook Publisher and re-build your .imp ebook to see what's happening (or not). Select your Build Target (HalfVGA output) and select Build Edition... to make the .imp. The Errors and Message window that pops up may show you why there was a halt to the ebook creation.

If it doesn't, then your .html code has some incompatabilities that need to be removed. Which ones can only be found by trial and error. If you would like me to investigate further, send me an email [nrapallo (at) yahoo.ca] with your .prc and I will try to convert it for you or at least find out what went wrong.

By the way, your .prc ebook is available (free) from PG as EBook #11030. The attached .imp was converted from the Mobipocket .mobi ebook from Manybooks.net.

Happy investigating!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #71
lindnet
Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't think you did anything wrong!

It seems the .prc ebook when exploded leaves behind the .html and that .html may have some incompatibilities with the eBook Publisher software. Double click the resulting .html to see if it properly displays in your web browser.
The .html file is empty, just like the .imp files that were created.

Quote:
If it doesn't, then your .html code has some incompatabilities that need to be removed. Which ones can only be found by trial and error. If you would like me to investigate further, send me an email [nrapallo (at) yahoo.ca] with your .prc and I will try to convert it for you or at least find out what went wrong.
I think I've bothered you enough for now.

Quote:
By the way, your .prc ebook is available (free) from PG as EBook #11030. The attached .imp was converted from the Mobipocket .mobi ebook from Manybooks.net.

Happy investigating!
You are the best! I will try again on another mobi file in the next few days and see if I can get one to work for me. I SO appreciate your patience and help. And to think I was afraid to ask my question on here!

Ok.....I couldn't stand it. I went to manybooks.net and successfully converted a .mobi ebook!! Now I don't feel quite so dense, lol. Thanks again, Nick.

Last edited by lindnet; 07-28-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #72
nrapallo

Quote:
The .html file is empty, just like the .imp files that were created.

I think I've bothered you enough for now.
Then there is some lurking DRM or Strange Compression on that .prc like:
Code:
EXTH item: 2 (x2) - drm_commerce_id - 14 - BOBLIVOLSI_353
EXTH item: 3 (x3) - drm_ebookbase_book_id - 5 - 94537
"Just move on..." is sometimes a good option.

Quote:
You are the best! I will try again on another mobi file in the next few days and see if I can get one to work for me. I SO appreciate your patience and help. And to think I was afraid to ask my question on here!

Ok.....I couldn't stand it. I went to manybooks.net and successfully converted a .mobi ebook!!
Why not try the excellent .prc ebooks (to convert) here in the Mobileread.com upload forum. The Manybooks.net are 'straight' conversions (usually from text not html) and don't look nearly as nice as the hand-crafted ebooks here.

Quote:
Now I don't feel quite so dense, lol. Thanks again, Nick.
See... it's not so hard once you roll up your sleeves and get right in there...
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #73
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
umm stuck

Okie, so I am trying to use mobi2imp the gui verision and when I run it the dos window opens up and I get this message:

Command Line
============

"C:\Program Files (x86)\eBook Technologies\eBook Publisher\Mobi2IMP\bin\Mobi2IMP
" "C:\Users\PETTIJOHN\Documents\My mobi books\Mobi2IMP\samples\Oliver Twist.prc"

Mobi2IMP (version 9.4) Copyright (C) 2008 Nick Rapallo (nrapallo)
FULLFILENAME: C:\Users\PETTIJOHN\Documents\My mobi books\Mobi2IMP\samples\Oliver
Twist.prc
FILENAME : Oliver Twist.prc
EXPLODEDIR : Oliver Twist
DatabaseName: Oliver_Twist
Version : 0
Type : BOOK
Creator : MOBI
baktime : -2082844800
# of records: 291

Then nothing more happens. A blank folder is created but nothing more. *scratches head* I am offically confused.

What am I missing? I installed the ebook publisher as well as mobi2imp program.

Help....

Amy

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #74
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Then nothing more happens. A blank folder is created but nothing more. *scratches head* I am offically confused.
You're confused? Now, I'm confused and I wrote that thing.

Try another .prc to (raw) .html converter I wrote called makedocN.

It may be able to extract the text and images, but there would be no working hyperlinks, if any!

I had this happen once before; it was strange too. It was the Cybook manual in .prc format available from their website or from here. Tompe also noticed it wouldn't convert to html. Strange!

Try some more until you know there is no solution...

p.s. does Mobi2IMP finish? or maybe it's taking a really really long time to process that .prc.

Any signs of a crash?

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-29-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added link to that difficult to convert Cybook .prc
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #75
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
no crashing

Nope no signs of crashing. It just seems to hang there. Nothing happens. I left it alone for about 20 minutes and it never finished.

I am running Vista, could that be part of the problem?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote