Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Audiobooks series reboot

To an extent, this is a carry on of the audiobooks no longer available thread. One of my favorite series is the Heralds of Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey. Written in the late 1980's, this series started the Valdemar Universe. Way back when, I bought the Arrows of the Queen as an audiobook, however, the other two books were never recorded.

Glancing at Audible today, I see that they have removed that recording and have released the series with a new narrator. The first two books are already out and the last will be released next week. Naturally, I will go ahead and get the books. I'm not super keen on repurchasing an audio book, but I generally prefer to have a common narrator in a series if possible.

All this got me to thinking, what audiobooks from the early days of audiobooks would you like to see refreshed? One that I would like to see is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Rob Inglis recorded his version back in 1990. Certainly, it's a very well done version, but for the most part it's very much of the old school of narration rather than voice acting, if that makes sense. How narrators approach the books have changed quite a bit since then. I would love to hear how one of the top voice actors would interpret the books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
What I would like to see are unabridged recordings of a lot of older books that are currently only available digitally in abridged versions. Some of them were recorded in full and can be found on OOP CD sets. I don't care if they're re-recorded by new narrators or if the CD narrations can be recycled as digital downloads; I just want them available as audiobooks.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
A couple of years ago (or so), there were a handful of books in the Eve Dallas/In Death series that were re-recorded. When the books were first released in audiobooks, they started with the newer books, then went back and caught up with the first ones in the series. The narrator didn't have much of a style when she first started, so that group of books ended up sounded markedly different from both the later ones *and* the earlier ones.

I ended up buying them because it's a series a tend to re-listen to, and it was nice not to have that "wait, who's that talking" moment because the unique voices of a few characters were not yet created in those first recordings.

I wish they'd do that with almost all of the Nalini Singh Psy-Changeling books. The narrator has greatly improved in the last few books and it's just painful to do a re-listen on that series. I always said she read like someone reading along with a metronome.

READing as if SHE were listenING to a metROnome. You could keep time to the beat of where she'd stress her syllables. The worst thing was, she was mostly fine with dialog, but when it was straight narration...THERE she goes aGAIN.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote