Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
cazumurano
cazumurano began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Two versions on the same Ebook

Good afternoon!

I would like to make two versions of the same book on a Epub, so my client can see them both, but I don't know if EPUB3 is able to make a hyperlink between the two books or even make the Epub separate them.

Is just like a book available in two languages. How can I make it?
cazumurano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can't. The link would have to point to a known browser-accessible location, where it could be downloaded from.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EPUB3Reader can show multiple languages in parallel within the same EPUB.

I doubt any other readers support it though.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
EPUB3Reader can show multiple languages in parallel within the same EPUB.
Not only Epub3, you can do that even with Epub2; look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=5
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
An epub that works in a Kindle (which does not read epub) but not in ADE (which is the most common epub reader) is not what most of us expect "work" to mean

Still, as long as it's spec-compliant that's OK with me (and if ADE fails, that's a bug).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Not only Epub3, you can do that even with Epub2; look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=5
Interesting...

But it still doesn't seem to have the best support. At least it works on more than one app, though.

@cazumurano, this does look like a much better way to handle it.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
cazumurano
cazumurano began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Thank you, but I've got an epub taken from a PDF, so it`s a bunch of images of pages, and I wanted to make two versions, but accessible through the same file. There is anyway I can do that? Maybe wait until Epub4 and hope they make it?

Last edited by cazumurano; 07-23-2014 at 03:43 PM.
cazumurano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazumurano View Post
Thank you, but I've got an epub taken from a PDF, so it`s a bunch of images of pages, and I wanted to make two versions, but accessible through the same file. There is anyway I can do that? Maybe wait until Epub4 and hope they make it?
Sorry, I don't mean to be dense, but I don't see the issue. First, I am assuming that the "images of pages" have all been redone, to be actual text and whatever images are needed?

Secondly, just put both books in the SAME ePUB. Put two TOC's in it, with one NCX that has both, in a tiered way (H1s for each book, h2 for the frontmatter, and h3's for the chapters). Then put whichever one you want first, and the second one second. That's the way all current multi-language books are done, ePUB3 and Azardi, et al, aside.

Why won't this work?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
An epub that works in a Kindle (which does not read epub) but not in ADE (which is the most common epub reader) is not what most of us expect "work" to mean

Still, as long as it's spec-compliant that's OK with me (and if ADE fails, that's a bug).
Hi Jellby;

In the thread that I mention above, Doitsu tested the code and he says that works fine in ADE 1.7 and 3.0 (not ADE 2.0). See post #8 from the original post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...21#post2780821

So, it seems that the two cols layout works in ADE, Kindle and Ipad.

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, epub3, languages, split, versions