Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #106
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Of course there is 3G in the UK!
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #107
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonjules View Post
Of course there is 3G in the UK!
I believe it is known as BT or Vodaphone or Orange or...
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #108
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I believe it is known as BT or Vodaphone or Orange or...
or O2, Or T-mobile or 3G

Those are the major cellular network operators in the UK and they all have 3G networks.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #109
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It might be a while but I can see myself buying a K3 WiFi. I am fine with my DXG but if I end up commuting for work I might decide to get the smaller version.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #110
Pandora
Pandora began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone, Kindle 3 (soon!)
This is my first Kindle and I have pre-ordered the 3G + WiFi. I was going to purchase the WiFi only model but OH persuaded me that it was better to go for the 3G for greater versatility.
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #111
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I ordered the WiFi only model because 3G reception is poor where I live and I don't have a need for 3G when I travel. I decided to put the savings towards a cover.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #112
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I ordered the wi-fi only version. With the 3G model I will be tempted to use it to go online for other stuff.
I want to concentrate on book reading. Just downloaded the Project Gutenberg DVD.
With its 29500+ books I need all the reading time I can get.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #113
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Interesting, my argumentation was the opposite. Initially I intended to order the 3G for the convenience of being able to order books anywhere I want to. Then I began to argue that I will be able to do that with the WiFi only model. WiFi hotspots are so prevalent here in Sweden, and cell phones now comes with with the capability to function as a WiFi hotspot for your laptop that I figure that will more than cover any future needs of connectivity. So I decided to make a one-time saving of $50 and immediately bought myself an Amazon Gift Certificate for $75.
The US is a lot bigger than Sweden so hot spots are further apart even in large cities. There are still places where there isnt even 3G coverage. It's fairly easy to find a free hot spot in parts of Chicago, where I live, but a bit harder in some other cities. I was recently in a hotel near downtown Miami & the closest free wifi was a McDonalds half a mile away. So the convenience factor looms a bit larger here.

Last edited by Harmon; 08-13-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #114
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I ordered the wi-fi only version. With the 3G model I will be tempted to use it to go online for other stuff.
I want to concentrate on book reading.
This is a good point in my case as well. Since I was given a BlackBerry by my employer, I find myself, at least some days, obsessively checking mobile.nytimes.com, and have been finishing fewer books. But even if it cuts down on the number of nineteenth century English novels I read, being somewhat better able to browse the internet while riding the Philadelphia subways to work (AT&T being the only cell phone provider in their tubes) is a significant eReader plus for me.

If you compare the total cost of ownership, over two or three years, of a Kindle 3 with AT&T 3G internet, with an iPad and AT&T 3G, you are talking about a ten to one price advantage for the Kindle. Yes, I know that the Kindle 3 screen is smaller, and has a fraction of the memory, and no color, and can't play videos or animations, and has, at the moment, no library of downloadable applications. But bottom line -- the iPad is a luxury I can't afford. A somewhat better-than-BlackBerry browser in a far better eReader is a luxury I can and will afford.

I'm not really sure if I will buy much Kindle content from Amazon or not. I do realize, however, that if I, and lot of others, only use the Kindle 3 to browse free web sites and read public domain books, something will have to give. The fine print says that Amazon can withdraw the free AT&T web browsing at any time, so I'm spending an extra $50 for what may be either a frustrating short-lived internet fling or the bargain of the century.

I wonder what will happen next year (or the year after) when they switch to Mirasol or similar displays that support color and video. I don't see how Amazon can keep on giving no-monthly-fee cell phone network internet then, unless I am missing something. (Probably I am, and I post to learn what it is.)

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-08-2010 at 10:13 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #115
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I wonder what will happen next year (or the year after) when they switch to Mirasol or similar displays that support color and video. I don't see how Amazon can keep on giving no-monthly-fee cell phone network internet then, unless I am missing something. (Probably I am, and I post to learn what it is.)
I think you are right to be concerned. My guess is that there will come a time when the user has to pay for any access that does not involve a direct connection to Amazon.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #116
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I think you are right to be concerned. My guess is that there will come a time when the user has to pay for any access that does not involve a direct connection to Amazon.
The original Kindle pitch specifically stated that general Web browsing was "experimental" and may not always be free, but they maintained that store access, downloading purchased content and Wikipedia would remain free. That seems quite reasonable.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #117
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
The US is a lot bigger than Sweden so hot spots are further apart even in large cities. There are still places where there isn't even 3G coverage. It's fairly easy to find a free hot spot in parts of Chicago, where I live, but a bit harder in some other cities. I was recently in a hotel near downtown Miami & the closest free wifi wawmin a McDonalds half a mile away. So the convenience factor looms a bit larger here.
Yep. It's an issue of density. There are very few of our major cities that are as dense as even what ranks as a smaller city in most of Europe and Asia. I live in what's considered a fairly large city here in the US (one million people) and even in downtown, WiFi coverage would be spotty. Our population is slightly larger than Stockholm but our population density is 2,223.21/km2 where Stockholm's is 4,411.8/km2. The density of Chicago is more in line at 4,848.3/km2.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #118
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
The Kindle 3's Wi-Fi completely eliminates this argument. Most people will find that they will use Wi-Fi most of the time and only use the 3G for buying a book if they're out of Wi-Fi range, like on the beach, etc. Once people see the Webkit browser on a Wi-Fi network they won't use 3G for browsing the Web unless they absolutely need to.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 AM   #119
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
I have preordered the 3G one as in germany, even though there are a lot of wifi hotspots, most of them are quite expensive to use, which would quite quickly make up the difference in price between the 2 models. Also with 3g i could look at wikipedia and amazon even when I am not within wifi range. Even if general browsing becomes paying, just the free access to wikipedia is enough for me as I use that the whole time (offline on my smartphone but only in german, but would like to have up-to-date english wiki).
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #120
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
2 x (3G & Wifi) 1 Each,

Still can't believe my Wife has been so generous, I had only Dreamed !
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote