Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #136
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
My point was that with your phone you have to manually switch to the connection you want, either 3G or Wi-Fi. The K3 will default to Wi-Fi if there is one in range and automatically switch to 3G if no Wi-Fi is available. It would seem silly to not use Wi-Fi if available because it will be faster connection. Probably not noticeable if buying a book, but for spur of the moment Web browsing it would be.
That's not really true. My Droid X will, if WiFi is on, connect to any network that it's setup to connect to. If nothing is around, it goes to the cell network. My older Windows Mobile phone behaved the same way. The only manual switching I have/had to do is if I had turned the WiFi radio off to save battery.

I'm sure that's how the K3 will work too. Unless I'm missing something in your post, I'm not sure how that's different from phones.
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #137
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
That's not really true. My Droid X will, if WiFi is on, connect to any network that it's setup to connect to. If nothing is around, it goes to the cell network. My older Windows Mobile phone behaved the same way. The only manual switching I have/had to do is if I had turned the WiFi radio off to save battery.

I'm sure that's how the K3 will work too. Unless I'm missing something in your post, I'm not sure how that's different from phones.
Yes you are missing something. Go back and read the thread starting with Harmon's post that said that his K3 is going to be on 3G all the time, just like his iPhone. And then my rebuttal, then his rebuttal and finally my rebuttal. Maybe it will make sense then. And his iPhone (I don't have one) apparently works differently than your Droid and the new K3.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #138
Digital Ink
----
Digital Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 International [pre-order]
Wi-Fi only.
Digital Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #139
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
When I first switched from a K1 to K2, I was looking up everything - I wonder what the official definition is of that word? Now, I just use it to translate some British sayings (I knew jumper, but ran across another one).
Besides definitions, I like looking at etymologies. I didn't know until recently that you could replace the default dictionary. So I might look for a really good replacement dictionary, because I've looked up a number of words that aren't in the dictionary that came with my K1.

I also like to look up stuff on Wikipedia while I'm reading. I'm expecting that experience to be a lot better with my WiFi Kindle!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #140
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Besides definitions, I like looking at etymologies.
See, that is a word I would not look up, unless it were on my Kindle. I assume it has to do with the origins of a word, but that is just from context. That is what makes the dictionary in K2 and later so good-all you do is move a cursor.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #141
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
...I assume it has to do with the origins of a word, but that is just from context. ...
Correct!

Allow me to look it up for you. Ah, here it is. From wikipedia: "Etymology is the study of the history of words, where they are from, and how their form and meaning have changed over time." Wikipedia also includes this caution: "Not to be confused with Entomology, the scientific study of insects."
Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #142
rlparker
Ars longa

Quote:
...That is what makes the dictionary in K2 and later so good-all you do is move a cursor.
I sure hope it works that way in the K3 too. I'm kinda counting on that!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #143
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Thing is that the Kindle is providing options! The situation with WiFi is very different in the UK vs US (Free WiFi hotspots few and far between here in the UK). For the sake of £40 I would rather have the 3G option.
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #144
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
My point was that with your phone you have to manually switch to the connection you want, either 3G or Wi-Fi. The K3 will default to Wi-Fi if there is one in range and automatically switch to 3G if no Wi-Fi is available. It would seem silly to not use Wi-Fi if available because it will be faster connection. Probably not noticeable if buying a book, but for spur of the moment Web browsing it would be.
Does that mean that you can't choose 3G over wifi?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, do you really want to rush into getting a Kindle now or do you want to wait and see what comes out from Sony and Pocketbook? Me, I'd wait.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #146
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Does that mean that you can't choose 3G over wifi?
It will only use 3G if there are no available Wi-Fi networks that it can connect to.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #147
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenRunner View Post
It will only use 3G if there are no available Wi-Fi networks that it can connect to.
So if there's a wifi network around, the K3 will not allow 3G to be used? At all?
Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #148
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
So if there's a wifi network around, the K3 will not allow 3G to be used? At all?
No one really knows yet. We'll see when the first in-depth reviews come in near the end of the month.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #149
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, do you really want to rush into getting a Kindle now or do you want to wait and see what comes out from Sony and Pocketbook? Me, I'd wait.
That's a no brainer for me, even though I probably have a brain. The K3 will sync with my iPad & iPhone, so I can buy the book once, read it on all my devices, and be on the last page I read no matter which device I'm using.

Sony lacks an app for Apple. Dunno about Pocketbook, but even if it has one, the ease of use for Amazon store is the trump card.

The only problem I'm having right now is all these rumors about a 7 inch iPad. If there were verification of those rumors, and a timeframe I could consider, it might be a hard choice...
Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #150
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's like saying - do you want to get an iPod now or rather wait and see what MP3 player Samsung and LG are bringing out??

No brainer here man
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote