Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi or 3G+WiFi?
Wi-Fi Only 205 53.11%
Wi-Fi+3G 181 46.89%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #151
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
wi-fi only because... well, it's cheaper, basically.
plus shipping it goes to 160$ (yeah, i live in the kingdom of far far away)
i'd love the 3G but i'll settle for downloading on my PC
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #152
norti
norti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi eco-nique Edition :D
I will buy the Wi-Fi only version for Christmas (or for my birthday), because I have two 3G contracts (for netbook/office and for smartphone), so I won't use the Kindle for browsing but mostly for reading during inland travels. If needed I can make my netbook to an infrastructure Wi-Fi access point to use with the Kindle.
norti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #153
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
That's a no brainer for me, even though I probably have a brain. The K3 will sync with my iPad & iPhone, so I can buy the book once, read it on all my devices, and be on the last page I read no matter which device I'm using.

Sony lacks an app for Apple. Dunno about Pocketbook, but even if it has one, the ease of use for Amazon store is the trump card.

The only problem I'm having right now is all these rumors about a 7 inch iPad. If there were verification of those rumors, and a timeframe I could consider, it might be a hard choice...
But do you know of the major flaw in whispersync? If you and someone else are reading the same book at the same time, then you have all kinds of mess going on. Say you and I are reading the same book on two devices authorized to the same account. I read some first. You go in and pen the book, you'll start where I left off. You then go to the beginning and read. I go to read and I'm now where you left off. Whispersync is all or nothing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
That's like saying - do you want to get an iPod now or rather wait and see what MP3 player Samsung and LG are bringing out??

No brainer here man
Speaking of MP3 players.. here's a good example...

Do you want an iPod because it's shiny & flashy or do you want an mp3 player that actually sounds good? iPods don't actually sound that good for playing music. Apple has forgotten what the iPod was originally meant to be and are focusing on other features and letting the music playback be filled with poorly made components.

It won't hurt to actually wait a month or two to find out what the other guys are going to be doing. You might find you like what it is they are doing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #155
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
So if there's a wifi network around, the K3 will not allow 3G to be used? At all?
No, the mere presence of Wi-Fi networks doesn't determine whether your Kindle will use 3G. What matters is whether your Kindle is connected to a network that you've configured for use with your Kindle - if it is then 3G will not be used.

Here is the explanation from the Kindle User's Guide:

Quote:
For Kindle models that include free 3G, connectivity to Whispernet is automatic, so if you see one of the 3G network indicators (3G, EDGE, or GPRS) in the upper right corner of your Kindle screen, your Kindle is already connected to Whispernet using 3G. Your Kindle automatically turns 3G coverage off when you connect using Wi-Fi. If you disconnect from a Wi-Fi network or if you move out of Wi-Fi range, Kindle automatically switches back to 3G coverage. If you want to turn off 3G coverage, you can turn Whispernet off. Keep in mind that turning Whispernet off also disables Wi-Fi connections.

Last edited by ZenRunner; 08-21-2010 at 08:55 AM.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #156
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Wifi only here for me. I don't travel for long periods of time to work or are out and about for periods of time long enough to value the use of 3G, and I have Wifi running here at home anyway. Besides, if I do go away and desperately need to get the Kindle on the net to download books (doubt it will happen as my TBR list is huge) I can pull into a Maccas car park and use their free wifi.

That said, if I was travelling like some Aussies do and spend 1+ hour one way to work on public transport to work each day, I'd probably get the 3G for periodicals.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #157
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But do you know of the major flaw in whispersync? If you and someone else are reading the same book at the same time, then you have all kinds of mess going on. Say you and I are reading the same book on two devices authorized to the same account. I read some first. You go in and pen the book, you'll start where I left off. You then go to the beginning and read. I go to read and I'm now where you left off. Whispersync is all or nothing.
Actually, when you access the same book from another device it will ask you if you would like to go to the last page read from the previous device. You can then just say no. Or, you can then turn the last page read sync option off on Amazon's site
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:21 PM   #158
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Speaking of MP3 players.. here's a good example...

Do you want an iPod because it's shiny & flashy or do you want an mp3 player that actually sounds good? iPods don't actually sound that good for playing music. Apple has forgotten what the iPod was originally meant to be and are focusing on other features and letting the music playback be filled with poorly made components.

It won't hurt to actually wait a month or two to find out what the other guys are going to be doing. You might find you like what it is they are doing.
Or do you want an iPod because that's the most popular MP3 player on the market and clearly what the average person is looking for (thus the best sales)...
Same with the Kindle
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #159
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Yeah it's a problem, but there are simple workarounds. In my case, it consists of telling my sons that they have to deauthorize once they've downloaded a book from my account. Another would involve the judicious use of notes & bookmarks.

I also wonder how WS works when people have separate accounts. If A buys a book, then B - who has a separate account - links to A's account, downloads the book to his iPhone & iPad, then deauthorizes, will B's account then sync the book for B's devices?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #160
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenRunner View Post
No, the mere presence of Wi-Fi networks doesn't determine whether your Kindle will use 3G. What matters is whether your Kindle is connected to a network that you've configured for use with your Kindle - if it is then 3G will not be used.

Here is the explanation from the Kindle User's Guide:
But reading closely, this does not actually answer my question: if I manually turn on 3G (assuming I can) will it stay there even in the presence of an authorized wifi network? Or is wifi the dominant mode, & 3G operable ONLY if an authorized wifi network is not available?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #161
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
But reading closely, this does not actually answer my question: if I manually turn on 3G (assuming I can) will it stay there even in the presence of an authorized wifi network? Or is wifi the dominant mode, & 3G operable ONLY if an authorized wifi network is not available?
Most devices have wifi take priority if available. I'd imagine the Kindle will be the same.
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #162
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
Most devices have wifi take priority if available. I'd imagine the Kindle will be the same.
That's how every smartphone I've owned operates. As long as WiFi is turned on and configured for a particular available network it holds precedence over 3G. Until I learn differently my assumption is that is how the K3 with WiFi + 3G will operate.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #163
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
If both 3G and Wi-Fi connections are available, Wi-Fi will be used. 3G is only used if no Wi-Fi connection is available.

Also, you can't manually turn on 3G independently of Wi-Fi. They're turned on and off together.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #164
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
Or do you want an iPod because that's the most popular MP3 player on the market and clearly what the average person is looking for (thus the best sales)...
Same with the Kindle
It may be the "most popular" but it certainly is not the best for sound quality. The majority of the general public do little research.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #165
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
So if there's a wifi network around, the K3 will not allow 3G to be used? At all?
The K3 will default to a Wi-Fi connection but you have to accept an available network and connect to it first. So you could just never connect it to a Wi-Fi network and then it will not default to that Wi-Fi network, but as I said before, why would you want to do that when Wi-Fi is so much faster than 3G?

You seem somehow to think that the 3G is going to be the preferred way to connect and that you're going to do it that way regardless. But if your at home in your own Wi-Fi environment why wouldn't you connect to your own Wi-Fi network and leave it that way and get faster speed?

It's all in the K3 manual on the Amazon website, maybe you should just download it and read it for yourself. That's what I did.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote